Chapter 7

Gabriele

Heather was sitting at the island, her green eyes glistening with tears.

"What's wrong?"

She shook her head, she fumbled in her book bag then she pulled out an envelope. Her hands were shaking.

"I'm probably overreacting."I took the envelope from her trembling hands. In golden letters, I read,

'You are cordially invited'  I unfolded the envelope. I scanned the invitation,it was for a wedding. Someone named Nichola and Alex was getting married. I noticed the surname Jackson I frowned. Why would this make her cry?

"Jackson? Is that your sister?" She nodded her head.

"And Alex was a guy I loved before Tyler. I feel so silly but it is becoming reality-he is going to marry her...he chose her. After all these years, he still doesn't care about me." The realization hit me, her sister was marrying the guy she loved. That must be the worst feeling in the world.

I took her hand in mine without thinking, she looked up at me.

"You're not going right?" Her head dipped down.

"I have to, my parents expect me to be there." I could feel a frown form on my forehead.

"Well, it says you can bring along a partner-Tyler can keep you occupied." I tried to lift the mood but she shook her head.

"No, I asked him but he said he's too busy. I'm going to have to go alone and watch as my sister throws it in my face that she caught him in her poisonous web." My mouth ran away from my brain there for a minute and I suddenly said,

"I can go with you." Her eyes widened and so did mine. Hers in shock and mine in surprise.

"What?" She asked softly.

"I can go with you since you have to go then I can accompany you."

"Why would you?" She asked with a questioning look on her face.

"I am willing to help, you are like a friend to me and Luca, so I'm here to help." She slowly nodded, the wedding was in about a month's time.

"Thank you, you really don't have to." I shook my head in turn.

"On the contrary, it'll be my pleasure." The ringing sound on the coffee machine made me sit up. I poured us some coffee, she intently stared down at her invitation. Whoever this Alex guy is, he sure was stupid to choose her sister over her.

We drank our coffee in silence when Luca emerged, he looked around and saw Heather's face, not a sad smile any more but a genuine smile. He walked to Heather and gave her a picture.

"What's this buddy?" She asked him, he gave her a small smile with a blush.

"I drew this for you." I leaned over to see the drawing of the stick figures, it was a stick figure girl with a balloon in her hand and a stick figure man with a bunch of balloons and a small stick figure with another balloon.

"This is you, that's daddy and that's me." He pointed to the drawing. She traced her fingers on the outline of the figures in appreciation.

"This is the nicest thing I've ever gotten, thank you, Luca." She hugged him and he returned it. With his jackpot winning smile, he walked away. It was great to see him taking such a liking to her already after only two weeks.

"Why is Tyler so busy?"

"He's an accountant and this financial quarter isn't doing him good."

"I can understand that, this has been a hectic few weeks along with becoming a partner it is a little bit overwhelming."