Chapter 28

Gabriele

I nervously rubbed my hands together as I started making lunch for Luca and I. Heather was still sleeping.

I left her to sleep in because I know she needs the rest. When she said that she needed a break from this and that she's leaving after graduation I had churning in my gut. I wanted to surprise her today since my room surprise was a complete disaster.

"When is Heather getting her surprise today, daddy?" 

"Later this afternoon let's hope she'll like it."

On queue, Heather walked into the kitchen.

"How late is it?" She looked outside and a frown was etched on her forehead.

" Lunchtime." I gestured to the plate I was filling with an Italian dish named Minestra di faglio, a well-known soup.

"Why did you leave me to sleep in?" She scowled. Luca laughed at me as I made a face that could only mean that I had no answer.

I placed the plates in front of Luca and her. The table was eerily silent since I was trying my best to keep the secret a secret and Luca was pursing his lips together because he was going to let it slip and I told him I'd make him eat his grandma's disgusting liver and broccoli soup if he did. Parenting at its best.

Not that I'd do that to my only son (it was the worst tasting dish ever but my mother believed that it helps you stay healthy).

She looked at us strangely but shrugged and kept herself occupied with her soup. I knew she felt off and not talking to her was making it worse but the secret was on the tip of my tongue. After lunch Heather excused herself and Luca eyed me sadly.

"Daddy,  I don't like seeing Heather sad like that."

"Let's hope this surprise helps with that, the other people are going to come to the front at Uncle Stanza's house. Buddy, you have to make sure they keep quiet and that I get Heather out of here before your uncle starts setting up." He nodded and rushed out of the house. I know it was a lot to ask for a five-year-old and that he forgets most of it anyway but Stanza would be there doing everything. It was just to keep him busy.

I went upstairs to Heather. She was sitting on the bed with her head in her hands.

I stopped in front of her kneeling down. I took her hands away from her face. My hands were trembling knowing I was most likely the reason why she was crying.

"Darling."

She looked at me and her green eyes gleamed in hopelessness.

She said nothing. I took her hands in mine.

"I'm sorry."

"I can understand why you're mad at me." She muttered softly.

"I'm not, not at all. You know the other surprise I talked about...well I'm trying to keep it a surprise that's why I didn't want to say anything." I omitted.

"Come on, let's go out." She grabbed her shoes and bag after she got dressed.

"Where's Luca?" She looked around starting to panic.

"He's visiting his uncle and aunt" We got into the car and I drove her to a market nearby, she perked up as we walked around hand in hand. I haven't told her that I lied about having work to do here, I had none but I couldn't tell her what I was planning upfront. I think she has already figured it out.

We bought a few things for the house, and I bought a piece of Italian leather for a project of mine. She looked so happy, and we talked about things that we saw. I was still very anxious.