Chapter 31

Tristen

"So where are we going for dinner?" Heather asked eagerly as she looked out of the window at the bustling city.

"I found a new Chinese restaurant downtown" She nodded and kept staring out of the window deep in thought. She wasn't herself.

We stopped at the restaurant. I booked a table a few hours earlier so as soon as we entered we were seated. We started chatting, we chatted about all the things that we were facing in our lives. I told her about the hardship of juggling Maya and my job and that it is tricky to do, she talked about her nightmares.

"Heather, I know you feel pain and I want to help. I talked to a therapist." I stated sipping on my wine.

"Therapist?"

"Yeah, he is a friend of mine. I don't think you're crazy sis, you just need to talk to someone outside of the situation and not family."

"Uhm." She looked jittery, I didn't want to freak her out. She was already in a porcelain state, one little thing would break her.

"You don't have to go." With that, she sprung up and ran to the bathroom, while covering her mouth. She was going to be sick again. I shifted nervously in my seat. I really hope she isn't becoming sick since she denies being pregnant (still don't believe her) she most likely had a stomach bug. Not exactly the way anyone would like to use their break.

After a few minutes, she came back and looked pale.

"No dessert then," I stated and she sighed.

"When I got that smell of fish I just couldn't keep it in. I hate being sick," I gave her a sympathetic smile. I paid for dinner and we left. I remembered that I had to pick up some diapers so I stopped at the shop. I never planned on becoming a father but so far I had to admit it was the best feeling in the world and when Maya smiles at me, I melt like butter.

I looked at her as she slumped back, wretched images of her limp body in the hospital room filled my mind. I understand why she needs a break and why my friend could help her, it was bad for me but it must've been much worse for her.

"I have to run to into the shop, are you going to be okay?" she nodded. I entered the shop and then I found the diapers and remembered I needed some milk. I walked through another isle and stopped. I wondered if I should or shouldn't. I grabbed the pink package anyways, better to know than not. I paid quickly, the cashier gave me a questioning look and I just shrugged.

I got back to the car and drove home. Heather stayed quiet. We walked to my apartment, I unlocked the door slowly. Maria was sitting on the couch watching television softly. She smiled when she saw us. I greeted her and felt my heart beginning to speed up, after all the years that I knew her she still had an effect on me. I couldn't react to it because she was happily engaged and going to get married in a month.

I hugged her tightly after she grabbed her bag. I eventually let go pushing back the yearning of just kissing her.

"I've bathed her and fed her. She is just an angel and is sleeping now. She's saving the best for later." I chuckled softly.

"Absolutely, she's my 4 AM wakeup call," Heather said goodbye to Maria and muttered something about undressing so she could get some sleep.

I dressed in my pj's, I walked to Heather's door knowing she isn't asleep yet and knocked.

She opened the door and gave me a half-hearted smile.

"Are you going to try and make me go to that therapist?"

I shook my head. "No, you can decide that for yourself. It is not my place to force you but I need you to do me a favor." I clenched the pink packet behind my back.