No.5 Nothing But Lies

You were soon approached once again by Master Diluc, and he gestured to the door with his hand. "Seems as though that drink of yours will have to wait until a different time, my apologies." He relayed, and you just shook your head in dismissal.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." You replied before pulling the tavern door open and holding it open for the redhead. There was silence as you stepped outside and began walking off to who knows where.

You simply followed in silence as Master Diluc took the lead and you saw a fountain in the middle of a central area. He walked past it and to a counter with a sign that said 'Good Hunter'.

"Would you like something from here, or would you rather I made something myself?" He asked, and your nerves got the best of you. You were a very indecisive person, but you couldn't blame him since he didn't know anything about you.

"U-Uhh..." You stuttered, and you just wanted to disappear off the face of the world. "Sorry, I'm just not very good at making decisions." You admitted while pushing your hands back into your pockets like you usually did. The smooth ring brought you comfort and familiarity as the smooth metal seemed molded perfectly to your finger.

"That's fine, I'll make you something then. How would you like to try... Fisherman's Toast?" He asked while beginning to remove his gloves. You nodded, eager at his words since you weren't very familiar with Mondstadt specialties or customs. He nodded before removing his coat and handing it to you.

"Hold onto this for me, if you will." He spoke before walking to the pot and rolling up his sleeves.

Holding the dark coat in your arms, you felt just how heavy it was. It certainly must have been agonizing to wear this in such heat, especially since the fabric was primarily black. You began feeling bad until after a few minutes, Master Diluc came back with two servings of this 'Fisherman's Toast'.

He placed one plate in front of you, and the scent was enticing as you inhaled the savory aroma. You saw him roll down his sleeves, attempting to button the cuffs of the sleeve with only one hand.

"Ah- here, let me help." You offered, draping his coat over your arm and helping push the buttons into their designated slits.

After doing so, you offered his overcoat to him, and he nodded in appreciation before pulling his arms through the sleeves and adjusting it so that it fit comfortably against him. "Thank you for your assistance, Miss Y/n." He thanked before taking a seat, and you followed in suit.

Looking at the foreign delicacy in front of you brought both nervousness and excitement as you picked up the toasted bread and brought it to your mouth. A satisfying crunch was made as you bit down, and your tastebuds were filled to the brim with euphoria.

"Wow... Master Diluc, this is amazing!" You exclaimed while covering your mouth. He gave a small satisfied hum before he bit into his own, and you stayed in silence until you both finished your meals.

"You know, I never got to ask but... just what is your relationship with Kaeya?" Master Diluc asked, and you felt your heartbeat accelerate. You were a quick thinker, but this would have to take a lot of lying and convincing to persuade him that you weren't on the bad side.

"Well... I've known Kaeya ever since I was a little girl. Unfortunately, we were separated when we were young, so now I can only see him every three years." You told truthfully. If you didn't have to go into details, then you wouldn't.

"That's not what I asked. I asked what your relationship with him is." Master Diluc spoke curtly, and you felt your stomach become jittery with fear that you would say the wrong thing. "And why only every three years? What's so special about three?"

"As for my relationship with Kaeya, I suppose we would be considered lovers. In terms of your second question, my father owns a dojo in Inazuma. Being the heiress to such an establishment is both tiring and time-consuming." You lied. Your father was long gone, along with your mother and sisters after what happened to Khaenri'ah.

"Is that so? Then how is it that you still have an electro vision?" He asked, causing your eyes to widen momentarily. You'd forgotten about the vision hunt decree that was currently happening in Inazuma. Your words were caught in your throat and your heart was pounding loudly in your ears.

"Miss Y/n, just who are you?" He asked while leaning towards you. "You'd go so far as to lie to someone that's willing to offer you assistance, but at what cost?" He spoke while burning his gaze into yours. You bit your lip and looked away, scared that you would reveal something if you spoke any more than you had.

"There you are, Princess." A familiar voice spoke as you felt a hand in gently caress your shoulder. You looked to your right, seeing Kaeya lean in for a kiss that you didn't have time to prepare for. His lips pressed against yours, and your cheeks grew red from the sudden display of public affection.

His opposite hand caressed your cheek sweetly until he pulled away and gave a light laugh at your flustered expression. "Ah- Diluc, I didn't see you there. Have you been keeping my Princess occupied with your non-charismatic company?" He teased while massaging your shoulders and pressing his lips to your neck.

Master Diluc rolled his eyes before folding his arms over his chest, resting them on the table. "We were only discussing her origins, and how she knows you." The redhead replied, and Kaeya smirked.

"Oh? She told you about how her father owns a dojo? Yes, my little Y/n here is the heiress to one of the best self defense schools in Inazuma." Kaeya spoke, and you made no visible face change. On the inside, you were grateful that Kaeya somehow knew how to cover for you.

"Then why is it that she seemed so nervous when I asked about her vision? If she's truly from Inazuma, the she wouldn't have it." Master Diluc retorted while sharpening his gaze at both you and Kaeya.

"Ah ah~ you see, Y/n here is a fugitive. She escaped the Electro Archon's forces and made her way here, to me. She ran because she couldn't give up what she was graced with, because she wanted to use it for good. Long story short, she's wanted in Inazuma." He quickly improvised, and you just looked down to your lap.

The way he was able to come up with lies so easily was something that scared you. It made you wonder just how often and how easily he could lie to you.

"Is that so? In that case, please forgive me Miss Y/n for prying into your personal life. It won't happen again." Master Diluc spoke before standing up from his chair and walking back towards the tavern. You were left alone with Kaeya, and your earlier memories flooded your mind as you pushed him away harshly.

He seemed surprised at your sudden rejection, and he reached out to your figure. "Next time, a goodbye or a warning would be nice." You grimaced before walking past him and following into the direction that Master Diluc went.

You didn't bother looking behind as you finally caught up to the redhead, tugging on the back of his coat. "I'm sorry about earlier. Could we still take a tour of the city? After this morning, Kaeya isn't someone I'd like to see right now." You admitted as his crimson eyes met yours.

"Of course, my apologies. Shall we go?" He asked before holding his arm out for you to take. You didn't know what to do, but you didn't want to seem rude to him. You gently wrapped your arm around his, and you set off towards another part of the city, not knowing that the Cavalry Captain's eyes were following your every move.

Word count: 1374