t w e n t y - t h r e e

A week and a half later and I was almost completely healed. As a super soldier, I healed faster than regular humans, and I was glad for it. Sitting around doing nothing was getting annoying.

Bucky stayed with me pretty much the whole time. Bathing was difficult, and he thought that I couldn't do it by myself. He was right, and I was extremely embarrassed when I had to ask him to help me wash my hair.

So, Bucky stayed with me for the entire week and a half. He slept in my bed with me and moved most of his clothes over to my room. He helped make me food and watched movies with me. When he went to go and work out, I went down to the training rooms with him with a book or two. I usually ended up falling asleep.

Now that I was – almost – fully healed, I could do everything myself. My stitches had been taken out a week ago, and all that was left was a scar and an ache if I touched it.

"When can I train again?" I asked Bruce one morning.

Bruce pursed his lips.

"I suppose you could do a little bit of exercise now," he said. "But not too much. No sparring."

I continued eating my breakfast, slightly grumpy. I really wanted to spar. It was the best part of training.

After I finished breakfast, I got changed into my workout clothes and headed to the training rooms. Steve, Bucky, Sam, and Natasha were already down there, sparring. I pouted at the fact that I couldn't join them. Bucky stopped sparring against Sam and walked over to me.

"Are you supposed to be down here?" Bucky asked me.

"Oh, shush," I said. "I spoke to Bruce. Take it easy, and no sparring."

Bucky looked at me for a moment longer before sighing.

"Just be careful. You're still on the mend," Bucky said.

I rolled my eyes but accepted the hug and kiss he gave me. I went through my workout, doing half as much I usually did. Bucky still glared at me when I bench pressed half a tonne, even though I could bench almost two on a good day.

Once I'd finished my workout, I watched the others spar. Natasha was helping Sam improve on his combat, while Steve and Bucky were just sparring. I watched as my boyfriend kicked Steve in the chest and then pinned him down.

I watched the group spar with longing. Bucky looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I stuck my tongue out at him and made my way back to my room for a shower. Once I'd done that and gotten dressed in my comfiest clothes, I grabbed a book and started reading on my bed.

About half an hour later, Bucky entered the room. He came over to me and gave me a kiss before heading to the bathroom. After I'd been injured, my room had really become ours.

Once he'd finished his shower, he came and lay down on the bed with me. I cuddled up with him. He began stroking my hair softly, and I fell asleep.

*

I ran through the halls of the Hydra base. Agents ran into my path, and I dove into their minds, switching off their consciousness like a light. I ran through the halls, trying to find an exit. I encountered more agents, and I knocked them all out. Right up until the Winter Soldier came across my path.

I'd used too much power in knocking out the other agents, and I didn't have enough to knock him out.

"Get back to your cell," the Winter Soldier growled.

"No," I snarled.

The Winter Soldier stalked towards me and I held my ground. He punched directly at me face and I dodged. I threw a punch at him, but he blocked it. We continued fighting, and I thought I had a chance at winning, until he struck out and grabbed me by the throat.

My hands instinctively went to the hand on my throat, trying to tear it away. It was his metal hand, so my attempts to free myself were pretty much useless. I gasped for air as he pushed me up against the wall, his hand still around my throat. I looked into his eyes and saw nothing. No life.

He threw me to the ground, and my hands went to my neck. I took quick breaths, trying to restore air into my lungs. The Winter Soldier stood over me, waiting for more agents to arrive. When the agents did arrive, they shot me with a tranquiliser, and I fell to the floor, my vision turning black.

*

"Y/n!"

I woke up in cold sweat, my breathing heavy. I turned to my side and saw Bucky. It took me a moment to find the difference between him and the Winter Soldier. The difference in the haircut helped, and the life in his eyes. The concern as he leaned over me, making sure I was okay. I reached up and hugged him tightly. He froze for a moment before lowering himself down beside me and holding me close.

"Bad memory?" he murmured.

I nodded, not wanting to talk. Bucky held me close, and he began stroking my hair.

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked after a few minutes.

"About five hours," he replied.

I sighed.

"Does that mean I missed lunch?" I asked.

Bucky chuckled and rubbed my back.

"Yeah," he said. "But we can go and grab a snack or something now if you'd like."

I nodded.

"Sounds good," I said, letting go of him and getting up.

"Hey, y/n," Bucky said hesitantly.

I turned around to face him.

"You know, you can talk to me. You don't have to, but I am here for you," he said.

I closed my eyes briefly and exhaled.

"I know," I murmured. "It's just... most of my nightmare-memories are about... the Winter Soldier."

Bucky's lips thinned and I looked to the floor.

"I'm really sorry about all of that."

I looked up to see Bucky with tears in his eyes.

"No. No, no," I said, rushing over to him. "It wasn't your fault. It was Hydra's. I know I blamed you for it for a while, but I was wrong."

I wrapped my arms around him, and he pulled me closer to him.

"I don't blame you in the slightest," I said.

Bucky sniffled and I held him close, letting him know that I was there. And that I was never going to leave.