t w e n t y - t w o

I ran through the doorway and past the Avengers. I used my telekinesis to push agents out of my way and to keep bullets from hitting me. I heard Bucky roar my name, but I ignored him, killing List being the only thing on my mind.

"Get Wanda out of here!" I called back.

I ran through the Hydra base, killing agents along the way. I had memorised the layout of the base and knew exactly where List would be. The control centre.

I found the door and kicked it open. There were ten agents in the room plus List. I threw a couple of the agents across the room with my telekinesis before attacking three more in combat. The rest I used my telepathy to kill.

I turned to face List when a gunshot went off. I cried out at the bullet tore through my abdomen. List shot again and I used my telekinesis to stop the bullets. He shot until he was out of rounds, and all of the bullets stayed in the air in front of him.

I placed a hand to my gut to stop the blood from seeping onto the floor entirely.

"You know, if I hit an artery, you'll be dead within minutes," List said.

"You'll be dead before then," I said.

I threw him across the room with my power. He hit the opposite wall, and I winced at the headache forming from the use of so much power. My vision blurred and I shook my head to clear it.

I pulled a gun out of its holster and pointed it at him. His face paled.

"You killed my parents," I panted. "You had the Winter Soldier torture me for years. No more."

I pulled the trigger, and the shot was loud in my ears. Blood splattered on the walls, staining them. List was dead, and I could finally rest. I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen, and I fell to my knees. I toppled sideways, and my vision began to fade.

I heard my name being called, and footsteps, and then I faded into the land of dreams.

*

Bucky's hand was on my waist. He spun me through the ballroom. It was just us two, the sound of pretend music playing in my ears, music that only I could hear.

A gust of wind tore my gaze from Bucky's face. I turned to the side to see a golden light. Bucky and I both stopped dancing and turned to face the light. Bucky still held my hand in his. I took a step towards the light, but Bucky pulled me back.

"Stay with me," he murmured. "You'll be alright."

I turned to look at Bucky.

"Please, stay with me."

The voice was Bucky's, but Bucky didn't open his moth to utter the words.

"Please, y/n. Please stay with me."

The voice was coming from the light. I let go of Bucky's hand and walked towards the light. He didn't try to stop me, so I walked all the way.

*

"Y/n, please don't leave me."

The world was dark behind my eyelids. I cracked my eyelids open and closed them again as light flooded my vision. I opened my eyes, squinting, waiting for the light to stop attacking my eyes.

I turned my head to the side to see Bucky. He was holding my hand to his lips and his eyes were closed. I saw a tear slip down his cheek and I pursed my lips. I moved my hand slowly so that it came to rest on his cheek. Bucky looked up at me and I smiled weakly at him.