t w e l v e

"Okay, you're doing good," Wanda said.

We were working on my powers. The telepathic ones. I was still extremely sensitive to skin to skin contact, so we were working on that. First, Wanda had told me to clear my mind. She could obviously read minds, so she knew if I was doing a good job or not.

"I'm going in," she said.

I began to panic. What if I saw one of her memories? What if I couldn't do it?

"Calm down, y/n," Wanda said. "I believe in you. All you have to do is concentrate."

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"Three," Wanda said quietly. "Two. One."

I felt Wanda's fingertips brush against my hand. There was a flash of what seemed to be yellowish golden light and a female silhouette, and I realised I was in a memory.

Clear your mind, I thought.

Clear your mind. Easy. Easy. Think of nothing. The image of the golden light and the figure slowly faded away and I was looking at the inside of my eyelids.

"Good job!" Wanda said.

I opened my eyes and smiled.

"Ready to try again?" she asked.

I took a breath and nodded.

"Just stay concentrated," Wanda said.

I closed my eyes again and cleared my mind.

"I'm ready," I said.

Her fingertips brushed the back of my hand again. This time, I kept my mind clear. I saw a brief flash of a missile with Stark Industries written on it before it disappeared.

"Good, good!" she said happily. "Let's try for longer contact."

I cleared my mind again and I felt as she held onto my hand. I saw flashes of robots and red magic. The flashes turned into a memory. I felt Wanda remove her hand from mine, but it was too late. I was in the memory.

Wanda was fighting robots with her power. She was protecting something in the middle of some sort of building. I knew when this was – what it was. I knew that Wanda's pain would be unbearable.

And then she froze, and I felt her shock, her terror. And then pain overtook it, such strong, unending grief. She screamed and dropped to her knees, her power destroying all of the robots coming to the button thing.

My chest twisted in pain for her as I felt her pain. The pain of losing her twin brother, Pietro.

Suddenly I was back in the present. Wanda was looking at me with pain in her eyes, and I wished I could hug her without worrying about accidentally seeing something.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "He didn't deserve to go."

Wanda's bottom lip wobbled.

"I miss him," she whispered. "Every day."

"I know," I said sadly. "I'm sure wherever he is, he misses you too. And I know he would be so proud of the woman you've become."

Wanda smiled sadly. I carefully wrapped my arms around her, making sure not to touch her skin. She hugged me back, and we stayed there for a while. The doors to the training rooms opened and I looked over to see Bucky.

"Are you two okay?" he asked.

Wanda sniffled and nodded, pulling away.

"Yeah," she muttered, wiping her eyes.

Bucky's lips thinned. Wanda and I stood up and he walked over to us. He slung an arm around her shoulders.

"You know we're all here for you, Wanda," he said.

Wanda smiled at him.

"Thanks, Bucky," she said.

My lips thinned and I felt a weird feeling in my chest. Wanda looked at me and raised her eyebrows curiously.

"Are you two having a telepathic conversation?" Bucky asked.

"More of a girl language kind of conversation," Wanda said, winking at me.

The doors to the training rooms banged open again and Natasha walked in. She pointed to Wanda and I.

"You two. Girls' night, now," she said.

"But it's only four thirty," Bucky said. "You guys can't go yet."

"Why not?" I asked. "You gonna miss us?"

Bucky chuckled and I smiled.

"I might," he said. "Or I might want to watch you kick Steve's ass again."

"Why? Cause you can't do it yourself?" I jested.

Bucky chuckled again. He opened his mouth to speak when Wanda grabbed my arm. I flinched a little bit, forgetting that I was wearing a long sleeved-shirt.

"Time to go. Order us three pizzas, Bucky," she said. "You know our orders."

"As I said, it's four thirty –"

"Order them in a couple of hours, then," Wanda demanded.

Bucky smiled and looked down, and I allowed Wanda to drag me from the room.

"Who's room?" Natasha asked.

"Mine," Wanda said.

We walked down the halls to Wanda's room. We got comfortable on the bed and placed some snacks in the middle of our cult circle.

"Praise the snack gods," I said.

Natasha snorted and Wanda laughed.

"Now, onto serious matters," Nat said. "I called this girl's night –"

"Cult meeting," Wanda interjected.

"Cult meeting," Natasha continued, "because Steve asked me out."

Wanda and I squealed happily.

"I knew it!" I said.

"I think Bucky had something to do with it," Nat mused.

"Maybe," Wanda said. "Maybe he hyped him up or something."

Natasha glanced at me.

"Talking about Bucky..." she started.

"You two have a lot of chemistry," Wanda said, looking at me.

"Wait, me and Bucky?" I asked incredulously.

Natasha and Wanda both nodded.

"No, we don't," I said.

"You definitely like him," Wanda said nodding.

"What? That's absurd!" I cried.

Natasha shrugged. I frowned and crossed my arms.

"Aw don't be mad," Wanda chuckled. "I'm sure the metal arm would be fun."

I gaped at her.

"Because you won't see his memories. What else were you thinking?" she asked cheekily.

I threw a pillow at her. She laughed and threw a gummy bear at me. I caught it in my mouth and poked my tongue out at her.

The rest of the girl's night went well. Bucky delivered our pizza to us and the girls bullied me. I bullied them back, but they really got me thinking about it.

Me? Liking Bucky Barnes? No way. Not possible.

At about ten thirty, Wanda put on The Brady Bunch. She watched it with a smile on her face. I looked to Natasha to see her looking at Wanda with a sad smile. I knew that Wanda loved sit-coms because she used to watch them with her family.

At three in the morning, Wanda fell asleep. Natasha and I put a blanket over her and snuggled into the bed with her. I was in socks, gloves, and long sleeves and pants, so I felt safe. Besides, I trusted Wanda and Natasha. They were my best friends.