s e v e n t e e n

"What do you mean?"

Steve looked between us both.

"Bucky..." I said.

"Y/n, what did you do?" he asked.

He didn't sound angry, just... concerned.

"I – I don't know," I said. "My power latched onto you and now..."

I trailed off. Now we were in each other's bodies.

"How – how is this possible?" Steve asked.

"No idea," I said, getting up from the floor.

It felt weird being almost the same height as Steve. Bucky stood up from the other side of the room and walked over to us.

"Damn, it feels weird being this small," he mumbled.

"Hey! I'm not small," I said.

Bucky just looked up at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Do you both feel okay?" Steve asked.

I nodded. Although it was weird being Bucky, I felt relatively normal.

"I think we should notify the team," Steve said.

Soon enough, the entire team assembled in the training room.

"So, you're y/n," Sam said, pointing at me, "and you're Bucky?"

Bucky nodded and Sam punched him.

"Oi! What was that for?" he yelled.

Sam snorted at him.

"Definitely Bucky," Sam said.

"What would have happened if it was y/n?" Steve asked.

"She would have punched me back," Sam said shrugging.

"I told you that you should have been resting!" Clint exclaimed.

"I always did this after trainings or missions!" I exclaimed. "Nothing like this ever happened!"

"But something, happened, right?" Tony said.

I pursed my lips.

"Maybe," I said.

Bucky cocked his head at me. It was weird seeing my body do things without me doing them. I sighed deeply.

"There was... one occasion," I said. "I – I don't quite know how it happened, or what was going on, but for a split second I was in the Winter Soldier's body."

"When? How?" Clint asked.

"I – he was..."

I shifted uncomfortably. I didn't want to talk about this in front of Bucky in case it hurt him. I looked to him and saw hurt in his eyes.

"He was training me," I said. "His trainings were usually brutal, and I remember thinking – I remember just wanting him to leave me alone. So badly. And then I was in his head one second, then back in mine the next."

"Did you feel it, too?" Bruce asked Bucky.

"I remember feeling her presence," Bucky said. "I was still in my body, but she was, too."

"Maybe that is the mind control Hydra was talking about," Wanda said.

"And apparently she can switch people's bodies, too," Tony said.

The team stayed silent for a moment, contemplating.

"Can you switch back?" Tony asked.

"I don't have my powers," I said. "He does."

I pointed to me-Bucky. Everyone turned to face him.

"Don't look at me!" he exclaimed. "I can't control them!"

"Wanda, can you give it a try?" Steve asked.

Wanda closed her eyes. Red magic encased her hands. The red wisps made their way through the air towards Bucky and I. The wisps swirled around us for a few seconds before they retracted back to Wanda.

"I can't do it," she said shaking her head. "Bucky will have to."

"Uh, no," Bucky said. "I can't do that."

"Sure, you can," Nat said. "You'll have both y/n and Wanda to teach you."

I rubbed my temples.

"Maybe you should rest first," Clint said. "I like being myself."

I glared at Clint and he glared right back at me.

"Fine. I'll go and rest," Bucky said.

I watched him walk away in my body.

"Dude, that is so weird," I said.

The others agreed with me. I hung around with the others. They occasionally brushed up against me, and it was strange not having to concentrate on keeping the memories out. I wondered if Bucky would have the same problem.

I walked around the tower, doing nothing. At one point, I looked at myself in a mirror, and ended up admiring myself for five minutes. Bucky was really hot.

"How do you feel being in Bucky's body?" Steve asked.

I shrugged.

"Weird, I guess. I'm not myself, you know? But he's not a bad person to be," I said.

Steve's eyebrows shot so far upwards I thought they might disappear into his hair.

"So, you don't hate him anymore?" he asked.

"No," I sighed. "I mean, what is there to hate, really? He's funny, he's caring, and he's really nice."

Steve looked at me with a raised eyebrow and I just rolled my eyes.

"Do you like him?" Steve asked.

"What? No! That's just crossing the line now," I said.

Steve chuckled.

"If you say so," he said.

He walked away and it left me thinking.

Did I like Bucky? Maybe. I mean, sure, he was smoking hot, and super nice. But that didn't mean I liked him. Did it?

Soon enough it was time to try and switch our consciousness back. The whole team assembled in the training room.

"Okay, so to access the power," Wanda said.

She turned and looked at me expectantly.

"Oh, yeah. Right. Uh... can you feel it?" I asked.

The other Avengers looked confused while Bucky just nodded.

"Okay, well... just... summon it, and sit with it," I said. "You need to meditate and clear your mind. When you feel... powerful enough, just think about me. The power should latch on and switch us back."

"Man, I hope this problem only lasts one day," Clint said, rubbing his temples.

I smacked him and he smacked me back. We waited as we watched Bucky try to meditate.

"You guys are creeping me out," Bucky said, opening his eyes. "I can practically feel you guys staring at me. Can you... turn around, or something?"

The team grumbled but did as he said. We waited for a while, and soon enough, I felt the presence of my power.

"You're doing it Bucky!" I said.

I turned around to face him. Suddenly, I was hit with a severe headache. I fell to the floor, clutching my head.

"Y/n? Are you okay?" Nat asked.

I clutched my head but didn't say anything. It felt like thousands of tiny knives were trying to slice open my head. I grunted, and the world spun. I closed my eyes, feeling like I was moving between different places in the room. Suddenly, it stopped. I opened my eyes to see Bucky looking at me from his body.

It worked. Memories ran through my head. Memories I didn't remember creating. I had access to all of the memories Bucky had created in my body.

That meant he had access to mine, too.