Chapter 14

Shelby looks down at a completely wasted Toni. Toni, who is in her arms, at this very moment. She's warm. But she's also totally gone. Totally wasted.

Toni's eyes blink again, but they dart around, not able to focus on anything. And it's not helping that she has to focus on Shelby in the first place. That's exactly the opposite of what she's been trying to do.

Shelby quickly moves a hair from Toni's face, but then she remembers she's in the center of a crowd. Her hand jumps away.

"Come on, let's get you somewhere quieter, Toni."

Toni's dead weight. "I'm not going anywhere with you," she mutters, but she's not in a strong enough physical state to back up her own words. So, she just lays there.

Shelby just rolls her eyes and says, "Yeah? Well, fight me."

Shelby waits to see if Toni will do anything, but she knows she can't stand on her own without help. Shelby just shakes her head and slings Toni's arm around her neck, pulling her up so that Toni is kind of standing.

Fatin brings Shelby a glass of water, a peace offering. Shelby nods and takes it with a small smile.

"Go right, the third door on your left will be a chill guest room. Without anyone getting lucky," Fatin adds.

Shelby's eyes widen a little, but appreciative of not having to run into that sort of situation. She kind of drags Toni along the way, it's much farther than she expected. Fatin's place is huge. It makes her own house seem small. And Toni is getting heavier each step of the way.

But soon enough, Shelby opens the third door on the left. And it's a sanctuary. Hanging chairs from the ceiling, candles, dark green paint on the walls. It would be romantic if it was anyone, but Toni. Anyone, but a girl.

She shakes the thought out of her head, and plops Toni onto the ground.

Toni's eyes are dark, her brown eyes turned almost black her eyes have dilated so much. It takes her a few tries to focus on Shelby. She listens to the muffled beat of a song, realizing they are not where they used to be.

"Did we leave?" Toni asks.

"We will soon, but I need to sober you up first. No way I'm bringing you back in this... condition," Shelby scolds. She opens the bedroom window, getting cool air in. She turns Toni to face the bed, breathing in the chill breeze. Shelby places the drink next to Toni and retreats to sit on the end of the bed.

Toni looks down at her hands and starts to giggle, "Damn... I'm in trouble..."

A smile starts to grow on Shelby, entertained by Toni's drunken state.

Toni whistles, "Ooh. I feel like I'm in the principal's office..."

"Just drink your—"

"I've been there a lot, you know." Toni adds, eager, she grabs the cup back and takes a few slugs. She spits out, "Is this water?" Toni groans, expecting the burn of vodka and incredibly disappointed.

"Yeah, what did you expect? You need to hydrate. No one's gonna be servin' you anymore."

Toni whines in disapproval. Shelby rolls her eyes, trying not to enjoy Toni's pouting. Toni sighs and finishes it, some drooling a bit down her face. She looks down at the empty cup, then holds it high in the air and shakes it. Getting the message, Shelby takes the cup and refills it up in the bathroom.

Shelby looks at herself in the mirror, she's flushed. She lets out a shaky breath, but then returns to the room.

"Guess someone's still serving me..." Toni laughs to herself.