thirteen - deadline

warning: very angsty and unhappy ending and violence 

Ryuu coughed up blood, his chest heaved in pain as he took in another deep breath. Despite all that, there was one thing on his mind, Atsushi. He had watched him practically get thrown off the building. 

They've been battling another ability user on the Port Mafia headquarters building for the last hour. Finally, just a while ago, Ryuu was able to behead him. It was a brutal way to die and it was half an accident on Ryu's part but the job was done and Atsushi would be pissed. That is if he survived. Ryuu didn't even wanna think about that possibility.

He stood up and walked to the edge of the building. His strode was wobbly and zigzaggy but he gazed off the rail and saw Atsushi, he was passed out on one of the balconies. If that balcony wasn't there he would have fallen to his death. Ryu sighed and jogged to the door, he knew the room that the balcony was connected to and luckily he wouldn't have any trouble getting to it since it was his own office. 

He got to the office and opened the door to the balcony, Atsushi was already starting to wake up. His eyes were slightly open and he seemed really out of it. 

"Ryu...?" His voice was scratchy and not very loud, if Akutagawa was a few more feet away he probably wouldn't be able to hear him. 

"I'm here," Ryu replied softly, he knew Atsushi would probably hate him after this mission but he had managed to save Atsushi so it didn't matter. In reality, he had just barely saved him and he got heavily injured so the guy had died for nothing. 

He lifted Atsushi on his back and made his way out of the office,  his goal was to take him to the ADA's infirmary and have Yosano-sensei treat him. 

He got to the building in 10 minutes, by then Atsushi's healing ability already started to do its job. 

He left the boy in front of the office door and knocked a couple of times before walking away. He looked back once, this would probably be the last time he would see Atsushi with a peaceful look on his face since he failed at their promise of not killing anyone.  

He left with the weight of disappointing Atsushi and Dazai on his shoulders. 

***

This would be Atsushi and Ryuu's last mission together, Fukuzawa had decided to separate them since all they do these days is get in violent fights and fail their missions. Ryuu hated it so much but in the end, it was all his fault. 

It was a simple mission, they just had to pick up some weapons from a dealer. It was silent most of the time, mostly because Ryu really didn't wanna start a fight. Actually, it was quiet the entire time, the only words spoken were to the dealer. 

After they were done they went separate ways, Atsushi swore he heard Ryu mumble 'sorry' it almost made him break down in the middle of the sidewalk. 

Little did Ryu know Atsushi also hated that they would stop working together. He hated the fact that he got injured on that mission way back. He was still mad at Ryu of course but he was probably madder at himself.  

ahhahahahha you can really tell I've had a bad day- 

word count: 577