three - day in a dream

TW: gore, blood

BTW, this is an AU 

Atsushi has been awake for about five minutes, just staring at the ceiling. He turned his head to look at his sleeping husband and child. They adopted Shioyo about a year ago. He had only been in the orphanage for a few months after being saved from an abusive household.

"Hey Ryuu, Are you awake?" Atsushi asked, turning all the way to look at him more. Ryu doesn't respond verbally he only mumbles something and buries his face in the covers. Atsushi smiles at this and gets up to start getting ready for work.

flashback

"Atsushi you seem kinda annoyed what's wrong?" Atsushi's mother asks after seeing his scrunched-up face in the back seat.

"Some kid keeps on calling me 'jinko' just because I can draw a tiger really well in art class!" Atsushi exclaimed.

Atsushi's mom just chuckles.

"Don't laugh! What's worse though is that I have to do a project with him!"

"Oh! That'll be fun,"

Atsushi sighs, "No it won't,"

"Just be nice to them and I think jinko is a really cute nickname,"

"Mom! Who's side are you on?!"

Atsushi's mom laughed while Atsushi continued to complain about the kid.

Eventually, after a couple more group projects Atsushi and Ryuu (that was Atsushi's nickname for him), they became friends and then boyfriends, and then they married. 

end flashback

Atsushi's morning routine is very short, he wakes up, gets dressed, eats and brushes his teeth, says goodbye to Ryu and Shioyo, and then leaves to go to work. His job doesn't make him stay the entire day, usually just until 4 pm. He works at a small bookstore downtown. He's always been interested in literature and antique books. Ryuu stays home and takes care of Shioyo. He's a successful artist. A lot of their money comes from Ryuu's paintings and poems.

After a while, a coworker named Chuuya comes and takes over Atsushi's shift for him. It's only 2:23 so he decides to go shopping. 

IMessage, to Ryuu❤

Atsushi: hey do you need anything from the store?

Ryuu: no I don't think so

Atsushi: mkay

While Atsushi was shopping he came across a small white tiger plushie. Oh my gosh, Shioyo would love this! , Atsushi thought as he picked it up and set it in his cart. When he was done he started making his way home, it was a nice day, the sun was out, it was warm, and after it had rained for two days before that the plants and grass were blooming. So, of course, he decided to walk home, instead of taking the bus. 

He unlocked the door and before he could even step into the door, Shioyo ran into him for a hug. 

"Wha-" Atsushi exclaimed before catching him.

"Dad, You need to stop leaving before I'm awake cause then I can't say bye!" Shioyo whined into Atsushi's chest.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think you cared that much,"

"Of course I care," Shioyo said, jumping out of Atsushi's embrace and pouting a bit. 

Atsushi chuckled and carried his bags inside.

He set down the groceries on the counter and gave Ryuu a kiss on the cheek. Ryuu was making dinner, Atsushi's favorite meals are always the ones made by his husband. It sounds cheesy but it's the truth.

"Hey, Shioyo I got you a gift but you've gotta wait until after dinner OK?" Atsushi said, kneeling down to be in the five-year-olds sight.

"Oh my," Ryu laughed, "You spoil him too much,"

"I know, I know,"

"I can wait, Dad," Shioyo said, in his softest voice. Every time Atsushi heard it, it made his heart clench.

"That's good," Atsushi said as he ruffled his son's hair. 

"Guys, dinner is done!" Ryuu called, setting the plates and napkins on the table. Atsushi picked Shioyo up and walked to the table and sat down. They both thanked Ryuu for making the meal and dug in. Shioyo ate quickly, obviously excited to see what Atsushi got him. Finally, after both adults finished, Atsushi grabbed the bag the plushie was in and handed it to Shioyo.

When Shioyo pulled out the stuffed animal and his eyes immediately lit up.

"Oh my gosh!! Thank you, Thank you!" Shioyo repeated, jumping up and down, hugging the animal. Ryuu laughed and Atsushi smiled. After they calmed Shioyo down it was already 9 pm, which was pretty late for a five year so Ryuu helped get him ready and Atsushi cleaned up from dinner. After all, that was finished both of them headed to bed.

They fell asleep with soft kisses and their hands intertwined. 

Atsushi opened his eyes slowly, the first thing he saw was a cloudy sky and dust floating through the air. It smelled of sweat and mud. His body aches with pain and numbness. His healing should kick in soon but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel it. 

He can't move very well but he manages to sit up and look around. The first thing he sees is a black clump in the corner of his eye. He moves forward to get a better look and sees that it's Ryuu's coat. Why wouldn't he have this with him? He thinks as he looks around more. He turns and his breath hitches and his eyes widen. It's Ryu but he's so pale it looks like he's dead.

(TW: gore skip if that triggers you!)

He sees a large, deep slash across his neck, there's blood surrounding his body. Atsushi runs over, even though it causes great pain to move that quickly. He kneels down next to him and checks for a pulse.

(gore is done)

Why is my face wet...? Oh, they're tears... Atsushi thinks as his face is covered in streaks of wetness. He decided to grab Ryu's other arm after he couldn't find a pulse in his right one, but his left arm had no pulse either. He looks at Ryu's face as if to beg him to wake up as more tears fall. He's smiling. Ryu is smiling. It's a genuine smile, Atsushi only wishes he could have seen it in a different situation.

"...Maybe in a different life...we could have been happier," Atsushi says between sobs, before passing out from his own exhaustion. 

lol how does it feel to have ur heart ripped outta ur chest! 

word count: 1030