THIRTEEN

I guess you can say since I nearly died, they've been acting strange. "So the curse is under control?" Surano's voice projected over the phone. I stalked off in the hallway as he talked to me. Previously, he had been complaining that his date night plans fell through with another Keeper. In which I warned him about being open, if the wrong people found out he'd get banished.

"For the most part, I still feel like there is some magic in this manor. I doubt a Witch Vampiric Assassin would just let one curse be her standing point." I told him, he seemed to understand as he absorbed in silence. I wish he were here. So we could go through this together, so I wouldn't feel so alone. "How is the Queen?" I asked to break up the awkwardness.

On the other side of the line, I could feel his annoyance. "She's keeping something from us, something that can weigh the scales." I didn't want to admit it, but I thought Surano was right. I doubted the Prince- no, Alex knew anything about it. He was too cooped up in his own world to realize it.

"What do you think it is?" I said with a low sigh following the line of my words.

Surano was still for a moment, not mentioning his through a until I pressed on. My friend leaned into the phone, "I think she knows who the assailant is." I think he's right, I thought. Surano was always good at playing Nancy Drew, I wish he were here to help me out. "I think she's keeping it to herself so we won't get involved any further." If the Keepers knew this was bigger than a few rebels we'd have all the tasks forces in action making sure to protect them. I would agree, that she probably doesn't want to make this any bigger than what it already is.

I pressed my teeth together, "I don't blame her. We're a group of strangers trying to contain control in her world." I pointed out.

Surano was quick to change the subject on me. "How is the Prince?" I started marking my steps down the foyer stairs. The echoing sound of my boots clicked, matching with the rhythm of my blade hitting my side. It was another hot day so I wasn't wearing my soldier's coat. I could only imagine if it was winter right now. I'd be losing my mind.

To be completely honest, I didn't want to talk about the Prince to him. It was like stepping on Alex's trust in me, but Surano told me about his mission. So I would talk about mine. "I feel like something has changed, he hated me for a good couple of weeks. He still hates me- but I feel like he has more respect for me." I motioned as the stairs stopped and fell down into the hallway before the dining room.

"That's good." He motioned.

My hand skimmed the double doors of the dining room where they would all sit around and wait for me. "I guess, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." I pulled my phone from my ear but his voice stopped me.

"Wait- did you pick your suitor yet?" The question took me back, I thought about the two files on my dresser that told me about both suitors.

I thought about my step mom. "No."

Surano seemed stuck, like he didn't want to say anything at first. "Well this guy, one of the Keepers in my squadron is talking like you're already married." Annoyance filled my breath as I grunted, I would be damned to learn my mother picked my suitor already without warning me. Then again it could just be another ploy.

Still, I needed to know. "Which one?"

"Theron Santrill."

I knew him. We graduated the same year at the Academy, while I was top of my class he was a harsh second. He was handsome I'd give him that, but he was also the biggest bastard I knew. I could feel something slap my face as I brought myself back to reality. His file was in the stack. I guess it's really over with. "His father is a councilman." I mumbled, it made sense that my father would want me to marry quickly.