EPILOGUE

A Month Later...

Master Nicholson looked at me with a crooked smile. "A present for your new position." Taking the present in my hands I began to unwrap the paper from it. When I opened it, I saw a picture of my mom. My real mom. Blue eyes and black hair in all. I bit down on my lip to contain my emotions. "You really have shown us who you truly are, Captian Greerson." Again he smiled down at me. I just showed him a cold blank face as I nodded my head and moved on. Eyes lined with my back as they all watched me walk away.

The auditorium filled with other Keepers here to congradulate me but I was ready to leave. My breathing kicked as I heard the whispers. Captian Cordelia Greerson, the girl who saved the Prince. I soon found that I hated the sound of my own name. Soon it bled with everything I hated.

I hated Chicago. I hated marriage. I hated Natalia. I hated the dead Nelo. I hated the Keepers. I hated the person who I let myself become under their handle.

Before the party was over, I stepped out into the hall. I allowed myself to find peace. There my father was, bragging about me to those around him. "See you all later." He said as I walked up to him. Thank the world that his wife was back in the building. I held my mom's photo close to my body as I lowly smiled to him. My black dress covering the tattoos on my wrists. "So now that everything is over, are you ready to come home and get married. Of course Santrill won't be back from court until the Queen dismisses him but you can still prepare to be a wife." I felt sickly thinking about that.

"Sure dad." I nodded off, "I'm going to head home. I'll see you later." I lied but he didn't know that. Right now I was the light of his life. The spotless and obedient child. I had been for the past month. He didn't know about the witch magic in my veins or the love I held in my heart for a Vampire. He just knew what I told them. He only knew what Holstein told him. I lowered my head in respect as I said bye to him.

Walking out of the ceremony building and out into the streets of Chicago, I called a cab. Slipping off the Keeper ring that the rest of us all wore. Dropping to the ground as I felt the weight lift from my chest. A ghost of Alex came to my side his comfort washing over me, but I knew he wasn't really there. For I left him behind. After all, I'm leaving all of this behind.

It drizzled outside as I waited. Rain always reminded me of Scotland. Standing on the sidewalk, I checked to see how much cash I had in my purse. Three hundred dollars. Enough for a taxi ride and a one way ticket out of here. The driver stopped next to me as I slid down into the back seat. He turned to face me as he waited for me to give him an answer. I smiled at him, "O'Hare International." I nodded over as he pulled out into the road. Behind me I left behind the Keepers and everything I knew. Using a piece of advice I was given a month ago.

Run. As fast as you can and you never look back. You learn to keep running and you shut your past away.