TWO

I slept through the next day, only to get up at eight in the evening. Arising at the start of dusk was normal for Vampires, sunlight always bothered their skin. Fire wasn't spontaneous like in the movies, a Vampire's immortal amatory made them colder than ice. Ice melts. Hellfire and the sun are the only two things that can burn down a Vampire. The sun makes them i'll at first, then slowly they lose control until they become nothing. While pure hellfire is instantaneous, but it's been centuries since it's been conjured.

This was the schedule here, I should be used to it by now. However, I would miss the sun, even when the night was just as enjoyable.

I changed into my Keepers uniform, it constricted my breathing as I held onto my sleeves. The heat of summer burned my skin through the thick material.

The uniform was black in color. A dark blazer that crawled up to my neck, under was my white blouse that hugged my warm skin. The stitching on the uniform was silver as the buttons matched on each side of my chest, every piece was delicately placed. My trousers were black and so were my leather boots that were strapped to my knees. My sword as my hip as I walked down the hall of the manor.

"Alex needs to know better, we shouldn't just give into him." I could hear the arguing come from the dining room, servants opened the doors for me as Natalia and Holstein spoke across the table. Breakfast was served but it was night so it brought amusement to my soul. I didn't plan on eating, so I just sat back and watched.

None of the Vampires knew that I drew in the room until I spoke, "Good morning- well I guess good evening." I said looking out the window with a low chuckle between my teeth. The clouds covered the night sky. I scared them as I looked back down to them. They all jumped in their skin.

Holstein was the first to speak to me as I sat down at the table. "Have you adjusted to our time schedule?"

"Yes, you all live differently than my last hosts." I nodded along as a servant filled me a glass of water. I turned to thank her and she greeted me with red eyes. I forgot I was in a building full of Vampires- miles away from humanity.

They all struck me as confused, "Your last host?"

Had they really never had a Keeper before? Most Vampires do have them. I was surprised. I thought about the red head, "Her name was Katelyn Chen. She's a good friend of mine now." I mentioned to them, I could feel my stomach growl. I guess I'll have something to eat then. I reached out and grabbed a piece of toast. They all watched me, they must have heard my stomach.

"I've never heard of a Keeper and a Vampire being friends. You're an odd girl." The boy Nelo said as his feet rested on the table he pushed himself off of the chair and balanced it on the back legs.

Natalia was quick to respond, her hand slapping over his in an instance. "Nelo don't be rude, there is no problem with a Keeper and a Vampire being friends. What was she like?" She was seemingly the only one interested in my life. The others didn't have a care in the world yet this girl wanted to know everything. I wouldn't give her everything, but just enough.

"Social and loud." I answered to her, pulling out my phone to show everyone my Home Screen of my friend. It was a photo we took at the needle, I was in my public version of my uniform and she was dressed in regular attire. I probably looked like a cosplayer to the open world. Then I noticed all the clothes they wore. Normal human clothes like sweatshirts and jeans. I felt so out of place.

Natalia again, quick as she'll ever be. "She's pretty." The girl looked down to her food then asked a question I thought I'd never hear again. "Do you miss her?" I thought about it, about staying up late with her and watching bad Vampire movies. Teaching her about her abilities and instincts. Watching her learn how to contain herself. Her struggles, her rises.