THREE

"Is court any better than the highlands?" I asked over the phone, on the other side I could hear Surano smile as he told me stories. He was having a far better time than I.

Dangling my feet over my bed I laughed. I missed my friends, I thought as he finished his sentences. Apparently, being around the Queen was a lot more interesting than being stuck with the Prince. Looking at the clock I noticed that it was near time for everyone to head to bed. "I'm getting tired but keep me updated, it sounds like fun." Hanging up on him I put my phone on the nightstand. Closing my black out curtains I felt like I was in the mood for a glass of water.

I was in my pajamas and I didn't want to change back into my uniform. I was wearing a senior shirt from my old school and some sports shorts. I decided I would take the risk. Fixing the bandage on my finger I scurried out the door. My room was far from the others so I should be fine. Coming around the corner of the hall I was able to get into the kitchen. There was two fridges. One for the human food and the other for the blood. I tried to get the right one first.

Luckily I did.

Fixing myself a glass I began to walk back to my room, but there was light coming from a doorway. I could hear voices on the otherside and my name. Moving to the wall where it was I put my back against the wall. It was Holstein's voice and Nelo. "Do you think we should trust her?"

"A Keeper? Hell no, I don't care how friendly Natalia has become with her. She's a Keeper and even if she's here to protect Alexandur she is still a human if anything. We all smelt that blood after she left the room." Nelo told the his friend. I put my hands on the wall as I leaned against it. I did admit that I knew the dangers of using the blood craft around them but I had to do it. I needed to put a protection order on the manor, my job was to protect the Prince and that's what I intended on doing.

Holstein defended me a little but I could hear the hatred in his voice. "I think she was spellcasting." I was so stupid to think they cared at all about me or my work.

To them I was a nuisance that got in the way.

"For what? What does she need to use magic, were in a building full of Vampires." Nelo made his point but that was the exact reason why I needed the spells. Then his voice drew back up. "And carrying around that sword. I feel like were back in the past, what if she just pulls it out on us." That almost cause the laughter to escape my throat. I would never unless they harmed a human but they knew that. They were worried over nothing.

The next words formed caused the blood to drain from my body. "Then we will take care of her." I was frozen, their intent was to kill me. I suddenly wished I brought my sword with me. My throat went dry. I backed up away from the door, I needed to go back to my rooms. And do what, I thought. They were faster and stronger. I've only killed a single Lost and it was just one. I've never taken on more than one Vampire. Not one that was sane either. My hand fell back onto a small table against the wall of the hall. It rattled. Shit. They heard me.

I could tell they were coming to check, the hall was too long to escape. A hand flew over my mouth as I was pulled down the hallway. I held my breath as I thought I was about to die. Closing my eyes I refused to look at who had just stolen me away. "I could have sworn I heard something." Nelo spoke. Opening my eyes I met the Prince's face. He was watching to make sure I had not been caught.

He'd just helped me.

Holstein and Nelo went back into the room. The Prince looked like he wanted to smile but instead held it back in front of me. "Ease dropping much?" He commented, but if he was there then he was ease dropping too.

"It was an accident." I moved away from him, he was so cold to me and now all of a sudden he's helping me. Now I wished I would have been left out there to suffer. "Why did you help me?" I spat out turning my head to him.