ELEVEN

Town was just as I thought, the moon had just arisen from the tops of the trees. However, it was still as lively as any Saturday night was.

If I were home, I mean truly home. Surano and I would be painting out town red. If I were in Seattle, I'd be chaperoning Kate and her expedition to have a new boyfriend every week. According to Holstein, he knew someone who kept an herbs shop open after closing. I had no doubt in my mind what kind of person this would be. A new age craft loving wiccan, someone who specializes in nature. No magic for them was real magic. They couldn't conjure flames from the edge of their fingertips, not like I could.

We all got out of the car, Nelo talking about how much he wanted a drink. They all argued as I began to walk up to the door. The shop didn't have a name, instead Rosemary was hung from the door. Warding off evil. I opened the door and the bell chimed.

The lady behind the counter made eye contact with me, "You're friends aren't allowed in here." She knew about Vampires, well I wasn't surprised. They still have humans out there in the world who know about them. They usually live peaceful lives.

The Prince grabbed my arm, he didn't want me going in alone. I looked am back to him and peeled myself away from his grasp. "I need it for the spell." They didn't look pleased with my suggestion.

He understood, "We will stay out here." They all looked between each other. Backing off leaving me to the darkness of the shop.

I put the list on the counter as she took it from my fingers. She read it then looked back at me. Her brow rising as she tried to read my expression. I kept my face still as she moved around the shelves and collected the things I needed. Then she stopped and went to the back door of the room. "It's been a while since one of you have shown up here, I'll get my mother." I felt annoyance ride up the side of my arms.

"I'm just here to get supplies." I tried to reassure her.

The next thing the woman said seemed to wake me up from whatever sleep I was locked into. "My mother likes to be around when you Keepers come to hijack us. Makes her feel comfortable." They knew about Keepers, which meant they knew about Vampires. I was stuck.

"You know about Keepers?" I whispered.

An elderly woman's voice broke through the entrance of the doorway, she stepped in with crutches."Of course we know about Keepers, we even know about your Vampire friends outside." Her white gray hair was tied up around in a long braid. The woman was blind, it took my back because he looked directly at me. "We're witches dear." She told me, a long chill fall down my spine.

I was in denial, I had to be. This broke against everything I've known, everything I've been taught. "The Keepers eradicated all witches."

The younger woman shook her head, she looked disappointed. She grabbed a jar of willow ash and put it down in front of me. "Education for you all never changes, you can't kill every last bit of history. It still lives in others." The elderly woman added to the comment.

"Mama, let's just get her supplies." The other woman snapped.

Her crutch slammed against the wood of the counter as she stopped herself. She turned and look at her daughter, her accent being the most prominent part of her voice. Now I could feel it, the strength of her aura."I want to talk to her Clarice. I can see something in her." My throat nearly closed in on itself, my eye with the sigil burned. I was walking a thin line.

I felt the need to explain myself, so I did. "I use the blood craft, it's apart of my training."

"Do you know what a witch is?" The daughter asked me.