Chapter 24

Hey guys, just a quick note that my upload day is going to change since my days off at my job have changed. I usually write ideas and outlines out throughout the week and pull it all together on my days off. Since I no longer have Fridays off it will be difficult to update on that day, but know that I still plan on writing a chapter a week from here on out. Thanks for all the support.

I wake up early on the fifth day and get ready to go to where we left Mason and Nick with Beau. Avery said they should finish today so we are going to go and wait for them at the bottom. I'm honestly thinking of about not making them do the third training.

"They are definitely going to do the next training. We will have plenty of time to do combat training. We are going over advanced movements since they already have combat experience." Hearing Avery say that through the wall makes me wonder if I say all of this out loud and not in my head.

I leave the room and see Avery standing across from the door in the hallways. "Did I say that out loud?" I question genuinely concerned.

I did have a habit of mindlinking when I meant to just think about it in my head. It didn't seem that far off to start speaking without thinking.

"No, it's easy to know what you're thinking Alexandra. Usually I can tell just by looking, but with you that's not even necessary." I feel like that is even worse. He always knows what I'm thinking about so I'm easy to read. Probably need to work on that.

"Are you ready?" He asks and I just nod my head in response.

We head on our way back to Denali park and I'm excited to see Mason again. 5 days apart was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I could only think of jumping in his arms and kissing him, although he probably wouldn't want that after his journey.

After the drive Avery and I both exit the SUV and stand in front of it looking at the path that leads to the parking lot. We have no idea when they are supposed to be coming but I take a deep breath and realize that my chest feels a little tight. We are here a lot longer than when we dropped them off, but I don't remember if it is at a higher altitude here.

"Avery, how high above sea level are we here?" Avery looks at me confused but answers my question. "224 feet. Why?"

That was no where near high enough to cause my tight chest, but it isn't letting up. If anything, it's getting worse. I think Avery noticed because he came and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Alexandra, are you okay? Your breathing is getting shallower."

I wasn't okay but I didn't know what was wrong either. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and took off my jacket to see if that was causing my shortness of breath. I wasn't really that hot, but it felt warm with all of the layers on.

"Alexandra!" I heard my name echo from a distance, but it was getting harder to focus.

I could see Avery's mouth moving but I couldn't hear anything he was saying. My vision seemed to get darker and darker until I couldn't see anything.

*****-

I run as fast as possible as I see Alexandra falling. Avery catches her but he seems uncharacteristically worried. Nick seemed to notice as well and darted past me to get there sooner.

When I'm about 100 feet away I get hit with a scent. I stop immediately before my instinct can take over. This can't be happening. Not here in Alaska. Isn't it too early?

"Mason!" I hear Nick scream for me, and it makes me come back to my senses. I don't have the phone that V gave me. I didn't think to bring it here. Before I could worry too much I started to think rationally.