Chapter 23

Beau is friendly but that doesn't change what is expected of us on this part of our training. We are at the back of the SUV grabbing all the supplies that we will need to go up. There are all kinds of food, tents, sleeping bags, cooking equipment, but I notice something important missing.

"Where are the winter clothes?" I ask confused looking up at Beau. Beau just smiles back at me in return as he starts to take out the cases of bottled water from the back.

I stand there dumbfounded but still expecting an answer. Beau realizes and his smile disappears. "Oh, so they didn't tell you guys anything?" Nick stopped taking things out when he heard Beau say this.

We both just looked at him and he seemed to understand that we were left completely in the dark. He kind of sighed and scratched the back of his head. He seemed to be stressed to have to be the one to inform us of what is happening.

"Well, we are going to climb to the top of Denali. We won't have any winter clothing while we hike, and you will have your sleeping bag and a fire at night. Of course, coming down will be easier than going up, but I have faith you'll both do fine."

We didn't feel any better at what he said. He said at night. Looking at all the things coming out of this SUV I don't feel like it will only take 1 night. "How long will this take?" I ask not really wanting to hear the answer.

"Well on average it takes 17 to 21 days. Even without experience you are Alphas, so I'm expecting 12 maybe 13 days." I'm going to spend almost 2 weeks on this mountain.

"Absolutely not. I'm out." Nick drops what he's holding and starts to walk away. Avery and Alexandra had already left so Beau and I just watch as he walks away.

Unless he hitch-hikes, I don't know how he expects to get back to the city. Even if he did make it Avery and Alexandra have our wallets and phones. He literally has nowhere to go.

"He'll be back." Beau says and he climbs on top of the SUV. "Hey, come help me get these down."

I walk over and he already his passing something down to me. Upon further inspection I see that it's a sled. However, he keeps passing more down to me. In total he passes me five sleds and I wonder what they are going to be used for.

I just watch as he starts to pack up all the things we unloaded onto each of the sleds. I hear a car pull up and see as four people come out of the car. There are two teenage wolves and what looks like their parents. They all make their way over to Beau.

"I'm so glad you could take them a little early for their test." The mother gave Beau a hug who happily returned it. "Of course. We had a special request, so I am able to take them as well."

So, these kids were going to go with us. To make matters worse, they didn't seem nervous in the least bit. They weren't complaining like Nick and me. As if on cue, Nick came walking back towards us.

"See, I told you he'd be back." Beau said looking out at Nick.

When Nick made it to us, he came and stood next to me. "We aren't really going to be up there for two weeks, are we?"

"If we can go faster, I'm sure we can cut into that time." Beau just nodded his head at what I said. "Exactly. I suggest you stay with us the first day, so you know how to set up your equipment and how to find a spot to stay for the night. After that you're free to go as fast as you'd like."

We looked at each other and knew that we both had plans to get back down from the mountain as soon as possible. Although I have no training when it comes to hiking or mountain climbing, I didn't want to be up there longer than necessary, especially because we had yet another training waiting for us when we were done.