Chapter 19

The wolf didn't say anything. He also didn't seem worried in the least bit. If anything, he seemed smug.

"Why did you come here? How many wolves were in your party?" Avery asked and the wolf just scoffed at him.

Avery looked at him with a raised eyebrow in confusion. The wolf seemed to have noticed and decided to explain himself.

"You aren't fit to be Alpha. You're a child barely wet behind the ears. You have no control. Then you have a gym teacher to do interrogations. Ha! This is a joke! You're all a-" his ramblings were cut off by Avery dropping the chain.

He grabbed the chain again once his head was fully submerged into the water. He looked up at us as the wolf thrashed about trying to get out of the water.

"This seems like a good teaching moment. You play nice at first. Some will outright tell you what you want. Some," he paused to look at the wolf in the basin. "Will challenge you."

I honestly was getting a little worried about how long Avery was going to keep him under the water. I didn't want anyone to die. I certainly didn't want Caleb to watch that either.

"A nice dunk reminds them who is in charge. Now when I pull him up he's probably still going to be difficult but his whole demeanor will change. That will dictate our next step." He looks over the basin at the wolf. "Almost ready."

What does he mean almost? Is he actually trying to kill the guy? "Excuse me, sir."

"Yes, Paul?" Avery gives Paul his full attention. "You said he's almost ready? How do you know?"

I would like to know the same thing, but it kind of bothers me that Paul isn't freaked out about this. Instead, it's just another lesson for him.

"I will explain on the next one. It's time for him to come up now." Paul nodded in response as Avery pulled onto the chain until the wolf was back in his original position.

He coughed roughly with water spilling out of his mouth with every cough. I'm pretty sure he was close to drowning.

Avery isn't phased and only looks at him for a moment. Still holding on with only his left hand Avery pushed his hair back with his right hand and walked up to stand face to face with the wolf.

"We meet again. Do you have any answers for us this time?" Avery asks in a very monotone voice.

The wolf says nothing at all. He seems to have lost the confidence that he had before but was still trying to remain loyal and silent.

"Let's start easier. What is your name?" Avery asked. Still monotone and just as uninterested as he sounded before.

The wolf pauses. He seems unsure if he wants to answer or not. He didn't get much time to ponder since Avery let go of the chain again. Before his head could hit the water he yelled. "Wait!"

Avery stops him immediately with just his hair in the water. "Yes?"

"Lincoln. My name is Lincoln." He says frantically but his voice is too shaky to shout.

"How do I know you aren't lying?" Avery asks and the wolf's eyes frantically dart around the room. His eyes land on the table and he tries to motion with his head.

"There, in my pocket. My wallet has my ID." Avery just nods before he looks at us.

"Who would like to go get his wallet?" Without a word, Paul walks over to get the wallet.