Happiness

A/N: So currently my entire reason for writing this story has up and gotten herself grounded so baby steps till she gets back lol

Austin's POV

I stared after the red faced girl, wincing when I sat up. She was gone. I grabbed my painkillers that sat in a small plastic cup and swallowed them dry. I lay back down at look at the ceiling. I stared at the mural Mint did on the ceiling for a cancer patient who was in here. The colours were bright and cheery, with random shapes covering the ceiling and clouds of paint, with the word 'survive' slashed in giant, yellow graffiti-style letters across the entire painting. A girl and a boy stood on top of the i, holding hands and smiling. I sighed and ripped my eyes away from it, looking away. A nurse had told me about the painting, telling me the patient had fully recovered and was fourteen now. Her name was Opal. She showed me various pictures of her. She was tall and bulky, with long black hair and dark brown eyes. She didn't look like someone who had osteosarcoma. She would be in ninth grade next year. I smiled wen I thought about the picture. Every picture I've seen her in, she was always smiling warmly, obviously not fake. I thought of this girl and slowly fell asleep, hoping I can recover from Kayli like she did cancer.

Mint's POV

I walked quickly downstairs. Nurses looked at me as I walked past, but otherwise showed no suspicion of what I was doing. I walked through the waiting room and out into the cool, crisp evening air. I walked across the vacant street to a store that stood across from me. I grabbed sketchbook and a package of graphite drawing pencils, before walking over to the painting area. I bought a package of brushes and a set of acrylic and oil paint. I walked to a small baker section and bought two gourmet cupcakes and went to the checkout to pay with money I had saved for a rainy day. I walked back into the hospital with the bags and the nurses once again looked at me with questioning eyes, but said nothing. I went to my room and threw a blanket over Kayli before I grabbed the sketchbook and pencils and started drawing out my idea. Hours later, it was 3am and finished. I hid everything behind a desk and crawled into bed next to the sleeping girl, her rest obviously not peaceful by the troubled expression that remained frozen on her beautiful face, her hair splayed out on the pillow. I put and arm around her and watched her sleep, fully content in my current position. God, I wish I could call her mine.

---•Time skip like the Doctor•---

Kayli's POV

I woke up with a warm blanket and a heavy arm draped over me. I looked at the peaceful girl lying next to me and frowned. When did she get here? And where was she before anyway? "Good morning!" She said to me. "Morning?" I looked outside. It was dark. I pointed at the window. "It's like, four. I have no idea what time YOUR mornings start, but technically we are in the early hours of the day." She explained. I nodded. Four in the morning, I was out for a good nine hours. Wow. "Did you get any sleep?" I asked. She snorted at my question. "Of course not. But did you sleep well?" I shook my head no. She was confused and looked into my sad eyes. She immediately sensed what happened and wrapped her arms around me, kissing my hair. "I'm so sorry," She said sadly. I shook my head and put my arms around her, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. "I'm here for you." She whispered. That took me over the edge as the tears fell, splashing down my face. I held in to her tightly. She was my sun. My gravity. My life force. I nodded and she stroked my hair, trying to calm me down. "Everything will be okay." She told me. "How do you know?" I asked her, crying quietly. She looked me in the eyes and shrugged. "A friend of mine once told me that sometimes you just have to let the chips fall where they may. I can't read the future, I haven't a clue what will happen. But I know one thing. It's that, whatever happens, life will go on. And that, in itself, is a beautiful thing. If life in its glory is not enough to show that everything will be okay, then, my friend, happiness can never be given to you."

A/N:Well Mint is scheming. Awwww shiiiiiiit. Love it? Hate it? Leave me some feedback so I can criticise your criticism!