Epilogue: Rise of The New Vanguard

A year had passed since Taiki was put out of his misery by Suzuka. The battlefield where his last fight was fought has remained untouched by all signs of life, almost as if the darkness had claimed the patch of land for itself, and despite all the treachery that he had committed, he was  still considered a hero by some for everything he did before he fell to the darkness.

"Despite everything that happened... Despite all that he had done... He was still the end of Crota... He was still the Hivebane... The Kingslayer, the Young Wolf... The Hero of the Red War... And the man who avenged Cayde-6." Gold says as she stands before the memorial that was erected for Taiki-9. "You may have not had the greatest end... You taught us that either we die a hero or we live long enough to see ourselves become the villain, but you were a hero true and through..." Gold has swapped out her exotic gauntlets for something much more practical, and having taken before Zavala she has a shoulder piece much like the deceased commander of the vanguard.

"He would have been proud of you... As would Zavala." Shaxx says as he walks forward. "You three have done an excellent job."

"As the new vanguard, you three have done well." Drifter says adds as he walks forward with Suzuka. Suzuka has not changed her appearance very much, but the bond that she wears was forged out of the very armor that Taiki was wearing, allowing her to carry him around just like Cayde wanted with Spe-7. "So, who's the commander? Who's the new big blue?"

"That would be me." Spe-7 replies as she walks forward. She has changed the most out of the entire vanguard, having traded out most of her armor for more ceremonial looking plates. The only thing that remains the same is the very cape that Cayde gave her. "I'm the commander of the vanguard now."

"I can tell. You certainly look the part." Drifter chuckles. "So what are you gonna do about ol' drifter boy here?"

"Don't worry, nothing's gonna change one bit." Spe-7 says. "It'll be just like before, just with different people."

"If Zavala and the others were looking down, they'd be looking down with smiles on their faces." Drifter replies. "Knowing that they have successors that will continue to carry the hope of the last city." With the city's walls stronger than ever, and the people's hopes higher than before, the last city was no longer referred to as the last city.

"It's not just the last city." Spe-7 proclaims. "It's going to be the first city. With us spearheading the charge, we will reclaim what was once ours."

"You couldn't have put that any better than that." Shaxx says. "And with how good you three are, you'll have the people's will by your side." And with that the new vanguard steps forward to where Zavala would normally stand, and they raise their weapons high into the air, proclaiming their victory and the start of a journey to reclaim what was once theirs.

The End