10: Keeping Distance

Steven began to sweat bullets. There she was, the daring and scary Spinel shooting daggers at him, watching his every move, and ready to pounce. But then there was sweet, innocent, and harmless Natalie, begging with her signature puppy eyes and blinking innocently, completely oblivious to Spinel's everlasting hate for her. Did he want to hurt her feelings? No. But did he want to say yes and get her killed by Spins? No. It was a lose-lose situation, and it seemed something bad would happen no matter what he said.

"Stevie?" Natalie cutely asked, noticing Steven wasn't paying much attention.

Steven gulped, rubbing neck nervously. Should he say yes and put his life at risk? Or no and hurt the one girl that like him's feelings? "Uhm..." He stuttered, unsure. "You see Nat, I don't think it'll be a good idea if you went..."

"Huh? Why?"

"Well...I'll be honest. You and Spinel don't have the best relationship. It'll be like my mom going to MY concerts."

"Ooh! Because you don't like your mom, right?" Natalie guessed as if she just won a game.

"Yeah, that's it. Do you get what I'm saying?" He looked nervously towards the monster known as Spinel.

Natalie looked slightly confused. "Not really."

"He's saying no, but of course that's a foreign concept to you, isn't it?!"

Steven's heart dropped into his stomach, and fear and confusion was written on Natalie's face. Spinel glared monstrously at her, steam practically coming out of her ears. It was like a staring contest going on between the 2. Peridot and Lapis watched with interest; this was the equivalent of 2 lesbians fighting to them.

"Let me spell it out for you; No means you can't come to my concerts AT ALL! No means you should stop asking and leave it the fuck alone. And you know what? If I see you even near my stage, you're gonna be joining your ancestors in hell!" She yelled in a pissed manner. She had no choice, clearly Steven wasn't doing it.

But in a way, he felt bad. Natalie was nice. Spinel hated her. And it seemed she was making at least an effort to get along with the young actress...this was like yelling at a young child. A fragile, hopeless young child. It didn't seem fair to see Natalie get verbally abused like that. Maybe that's why he tried to sugarcoat the situation, which was obviously a bust. Was she just dumb or was it because he was trying to beat around the bush?

"Ok, ok, I get it." Natalie responded with a bit of hurt in her voice. "I just wanted to come cheer you on, I really do like your music, Spinel."

"Well I don't want you to like my music, and I don't need your petty little cheers."

Peridot tapped Spinel on her shoulder. "Uh..."

"Oh my fucking God, what Peridot?!"

She pointed behind her. Everyone had their phones out recording every single thing going on. They had it all; the moment Steven tried to break it down to Natalie to the point Spinel yelled at her mercilessly. This was definitely bad publicity.

Spinel's eyes widened. Rose and Simon were going to kill her! "Hey!" She saw a man recording her closely. "Do you want that thing broken?" She threatened, stepping closer to him and caused him to back away slowly, but still recording.

"You know what? Fine. Since you wanna record shit so badly..." She then grabbed him.

"Spinel wait!" Steven tried to intervene. But he was too late. Spinel had hit him down to the ground, his phone cracked.

"Record that!"

"Dammit Spinel don't you realize there's 50 people in here watching us?!" He scolded while shaking her by her shoulders. "You've made yourself look bad enough, don't make it worse!" Spinel rolled her eyes at him and roughly pushed him away.