#43: Care for romance?

"I .. uh, what is that?"

He looked at me with a come-on-look. "Any bets?"

I fidgeted on the sofa and couldn't help but lean away from Jake.

"Got cold feet?" he asked, his eyes sparking in a weird way in the dark, leaned on the back of the sofa and took a sip.

I bit my lip. "I .. just don't..."

"Ah, ole c'mon, I'm just kidding," he smiled at me brightly.

I, on the other hand, smiled unsteadily in aswer.

***

Jason

As all Caroline's girl friends were still on the floor, I didn't think she had gone wandering somewhere. She wouldn't have done that as they would have started looking for her. So she had to do something they had approved.

Jake, a thought came into my mind. Oh no, why?

After scanning the dance floor blow-by-blow, I realized that previously mentioned person wasn't there either, though he had impressed everyone with his break dance skills.

Dandy.

Could Caroline have gone somewhere with Jake? Jake could be a player, though, but...

And then I saw some movement upstairs of the "club". Thanks to the lenses, I could easily see that those I was looking for were there.

And Jake handed Caro a can...

So we just can't go without being criminal, huh?

However, I couldn't do anything bad. I had to admit that despite everything, Jake was quite good and important part of the mafia, so I couldn't lay my hand on him. Moreover, getting rid of him would cause quite a few problems...

Okay, let's take the easier path.

I had to get Zack's phone. Trust me, in a situation like this it was easier than taking a candy from a baby.

'Specially if you look at those children nowadays...

And as called, Zack was there. You could see he had been drinking and arm-in-arm was someone from the other class. In his other hand I could see the wanted IPhone.

Ugh, over rated.

Zack sank on the sofa next to me, pulling the blonde bimbo on his lap.

Please don't tell me they're gonna... Thanks. I love you so much.

By itself, the view wan't exactly nice, but it freed both of Zack's hands, so the phone slipped next to me, unnoticeable to him.

Only ask and you'll get anything.

Luckily, Zack was busy enough not to notice how I sent Jake the message - I asked him to go to the farthest part of the ship aka as far from Caro as possible -, delete it from the phone and put the phone back. I looked up and saw, for my pleasure, how Jake more likely tried to explain to Caro that he has "things to do".

Just like me last year, I recalled. You my poor girl.

After some time Jake skipped down the stairs - doing these weird bouncing steps of his - and disappeared in the door.

Mission completed. Nice job, Jason.

Only that when I looked up again and saw Caroline pouting, her elbows on knees and head resting between her hands, I felt bad and slightly guilty as well. I hadn't had any intention to make her sad. Even if she didn't know how not healthy Jake was for her.