Task Three - Buttons

As the faces of the dead fade onto the sky, you settle down for the night. Is it just you, or is the air getting warmer? Can you hear birds, tweeting in the background?

Sparky’s cheerful face vanishes and is replaced by a scowling Alithia Warwell. She does not look impressed.

“I’ll be honest, I’ve seen better,” she begins, “Call that a bloodbath? Anyway, Vivius and Vinella say I’m not allowed to sit her and criticize so, on with the show…wasn’t Vinella’s arena pretty? But not nearly deadly enough for my liking!”

As she speaks, you notice the snow melting away, revealing perfect grassy fields, strewn with patches of daisies. A sweet breeze blows across, rippling the grass, and blossoms bloom on the trees, including the Cornucopia Christmas Tree, with six lights dimmed.

“Looks lovely, doesn’t it? Be careful of the flowers; they’ll burn through anything they come into contact with, and that includes careless tributes. You’ll find some species of grass armed with thorns. It’s not all bad news, though. There’s a stream somewhere, and if you can find it, the water is safe to drink.”

Somewhere nearby, a kind of low chirping noise booms over the newly blooming fields.

“Oh, that reminds me! Tributes, your biggest enemy is not always your fellow tributes. Now, Buttons shouldn’t be any trouble, but I think it’s only fair to warn you that he is very territorial, so you’d better make sure you’re not on his ground!”

You notice a huge shape bounding towards you; razor sharp teeth glint in the moonlight, beady yellow eyes search the fields for any intruders and, to top it all off, a fluffy tail beats the air behind it. It is unmistakably a giant, mutated squirrel.

Alithia sneers at you. “Well,” she drawls, “You didn’t think we’d let you rest for that long, did you?”

With a cackle, she vanishes, and you are left with ‘Buttons’. Perhaps he won’t notice you…

Too late. His sneering eyes lock onto yours and before you know it, you are under attack.

-          Buttons is impossible to tame and very angry at your intrusion on his land.

-          There is NO word limit for this task, but if I were you I’d keep it as short as possible.

-          You are not required to kill anybody. However, five people will die this round, with eight going up for votes, so every death counts.

-          Maximum number of kills is four.

-          You have FIVE days.

-          Don’t forget the killer daisies!

May the odds be ever in your favour!

~Alithia Warwell