XVII: Trouble with the Zoldycks

Illumi silently watched with his parents. He doesn't know what to think for now, pursuing Alluka and Killua, or the situation with Akame. His hunger and craving for power and control over his brothers were repressed by his fear for Akame's situation. They will obviously kill her. He has to think of a way, a reason to keep her alive. If Killua can do it to their parents, so can he.

Akame has been standing outside the Zoldyck family room for a while now. She was so terrified, she remembered the looks on Silva and Kikyo, they were clearly astounded when they saw her. And especially when Illumi yelled her name before being teleported here.

While waiting for Silva and Kikyo to come out of the room, Zeno suddenly approached her.

"Zeno-sama," she bowed as a greeting. She became more terrified, he is obviously the most powerful member of this family and she had to go through him now.

"I've heard what happened."

"I-I'm sorry master. I didn't mean for this to happen...but I know I am still at fault. I accept my death in your hands."

"I am not the one to make that decision."

"Wh-what?"

"You know," Zeno spoke casually, "I have always thought that Illumi is a carbon copy of Kikyo. But now...I see that he took some of my personality as well."

"Wh-what do you mean, master?"

"I have never told anyone about this, so this is just between me and you. Alright, Akame?"

"Y-yes, master..." Akame answered confusingly.

"When I was about Illumi's age...I, too...fell in love with our butler."

Akame's eyes widened at this sudden realization.

"And just like him, I followed my heart. I entered into a forbidden relationship. We had our own rendezvous in this estate. Although...I never thought of doing what he did. Which was exemplary actually."

"Is...is she the mother of master Silva, master?"

"Unfortunately, no," Zeno sighed, "she died protecting me."

"Wh-what happened?"

"We were in the middle of intra-mission as well, like what happened here. My older brother was envious of me being the heir so he tried to kill me. Marrietta, my lover, saw his plan so she sacrificed herself for me to live."

"O-oh...that must've been..."

"Tragic? Yes. That's why I made the rule of not killing a family member during an intra-mission or a conflict of ideals."

"I...I see...I'm sorry for what you went through, master."

"Nothing to dwell on that now. It's just that..." he gave a small smile to Akame, "I hope your story will end differently."

Silva and Kikyo went out of the room and saw them.

"Well, I guess that's my cue to leave. See you around...hopefully."

Akame was shocked at what Zeno told her. She wasn't able to mutter a thank-you to him since he already left the room. She just faced Silva and Kikyo.

"Silva-sama, Kikyo-sama," she bowed to them.

"What did father say?" Silva asked.

Akame didn't know what to say. Zeno told her that what he said was just between the two of them. She quickly thought of other things to say.

"He just...uhm...he reminded me of the rule I have broken, master."

Kikyo nodded. "Follow us."

Akame followed Kikyo and Silva to the isolation room. There she saw that there was a single chair in the middle and a small light bulb above it. It looked like an interrogation room. The torture materials were still there, even the chains.