XIII: Locked Up

Akame's eyes fluttered open. She found herself in an empty room. She got confused for a while, but then she realized that she is in Chance City with Illumi. She looked at her side and saw that Illumi's side was empty. After the incident at the mall, they decided to stay inside and ordered take-out. They went to sleep together, so Akame was confused about where he was.

She stood up from her bed and quickly fixed herself. She saw a scratch on the wall so she walked closer and checked on it. She saw that it was scratch marks, Illumi's claw marks. And it was shaped into letters.

Out for mission. Don't go out. Don't teleport.

That's when she realized that Illumi had left her a message. She let her hand run through the scratch marks and smiled. It was the first time Illumi left her a message. Well, everything that has happened since yesterday was the first time for her. She went back to the bed and fixed it. After that she went to the door to open it, only to find out it was locked. She tried opening it again and was about to teleport outside but remembered Illumi's message.

'Does outside the room count?' she wondered. 'I could easily break this door, but I think master Illumi won't like that. So does that mean I'd just stay in this room until he comes back?'

She sighed. She already knows the answer to her question. She went back to the bed and sat down. It felt really weird to her, stay in a room and do nothing. All her life in the Zoldyck estate, she was always doing something even in her free time. But in here, there was nothing she could do, literally nothing, since the room was empty. She looked at the windows and saw a balcony outside. She lit up as she thought of an idea.

'Maybe I can still do the things I do at the Zoldycks,'

She went to the balcony and guarded it as if she was guarding the entrance of the estate. She is already used to standing all day, with no food or water, to guard. So she just stood there and noticed that the mansion was actually bigger than the last time she saw it. It was the first time she looked around. The garden, or what supposed to be the garden was a bit messy. The grass was so tall and the bushes were not trimmed. A small pond that was in the middle was also dirty and contaminated. She wanted to go down and clean it, but she stopped herself since she received no order and Illumi told her to stay inside.

There were a few people walking around the street. The window was a bit far from the main road, but Akame had good eyes from her training, so she can see even from a mile away. She noticed that only private people are in this city. She recognized some to be a Zoldycks' clients.

While guarding, she activated her new borrowed ability. Dowsing Chain. She saw Kurapika used it and piqued her interest. So when she talked to him, she secretly took it on her own. She checked the limitations and description of this ability, and she was glad that she took it. Dowsing Chain can be used as an offensive ability, which she was looking for.

After guarding for five hours, she finally saw Illumi coming inside. When he was near the mansion, she jumped down from the balcony and greeted him.

"Illumi-sama," she bowed.

"What are you doing here? I told you to not go out."

"Yes, master. I stayed on the balcony and guarded it while you were out. I just came down here to greet you."

"Guarded? At the balcony? Did somebody see you?!"

Akame was shocked since he was raising his voice. "I-I'm not sure master, b-but I was only--"

"I didn't tell you to guard the mansion. I gave you a simple instruction. To not go out. Why can't you just follow that?"

His voice was suddenly calm, but deep and bitter. And he released a malicious aura, which wrapped around her and suffocated her. His eyes were still apathetic, but she noticed the slight hint of disappointment in them. She felt cold sweat drop from her forehead. Her hands were shaking so she hid them behind her. She bowed to him and apologized with a shaky voice.