12

the four of you were standing on a small cliff, underneath it was a river with pieces of ice flowing through it. you looked to the side and saw a bridge which was made out of stone.

approaching the front of the stone bridge, diluc spoke up to you, "have you ever been to dragonspine?" he asked you

approaching the front of the stone bridge, diluc spoke up to you, "have you ever been to dragonspine?" he asked you. you were surprised that he started a conversation with you.

now on the bridge, your feet clashing against the hard pavement, you answered him, "no, but im well prepared for the cold." you said as you figured he was asking about the sheer cold in dragonspine.

while answering, you pointed to your coat. diluc nodded and you asked him the same, "what about you?" you asked him if he ever visited dragonspine.

"ive been here a few times." he vaguely answered while looking straightforward. you didnt expect him to keep on talking so you just nodded at his answer.

but he continued, he turned his head to look at you and spoke up, "its been a while, but im well prepared too." he said as he pointed to his coat as well, imitating you.

you swore you saw the corners of his mouth lift upwards in the slightest bit, giving you a genuine smile. to say you were caught off guard was an understatement.

the small movement made you automatically smile as well, "thats good t-" you spoke up, you wanted to tell him more but where interrupted by a shivering aether behind you.

the poor boy wasnt even wearing long sleeves as you four entered dragonspine and you felt bad for him. you all kept on walking and you looked behind you over your shoulder, speaking up.

"aether, do you want my coat?" you asked the boy while giving him a concerned look. aether was rubbing his upper arms in order to stay warm.

he gave you a smile, "im fine, dont worry." he simply said. diluc and you both could see that he wasnt used to the cold much but didnt push it any further. you made a mental note to offer your coat again when you were further in dragonspine.

crossing the bridge and now officially in dragonspine, you knew you couldnt go back anymore. the following days would be filled with cold, snow, freezing and storms.

luckily to you, you werent too cold. living in snezhnaya made you used to the cold weather. but you couldnt help but slightly shiver after your four week stay in mondstadt.

there were no casualties so far as you four went more into dragonspine, as you looked up to the sky you saw a giant tree peaking over a small cliff in front or you.

you spoke up, "that doesnt look like a normal tree." you said questioning while looking up at the top of the tree as you continued walking. diluc and paimon both followed your gaze and saw it too.

paimon being the guide she is, spoke up, "thats the frostbeering tree." she said without much surprise, it seemed like she and aether were both familiar enough with it.

"its kind off like a statue of the seven." aether started explaining as he now walked besides you. he was still holding his upper arms in hopes of not losing any warmth.

he continued, "it gives you rewards as you offer crimson agates." he said while looking at the tree. paimon who floated between you and aether finished for aether, "the crimson agates are like anemoculuses!" she said.

the four of you approached the tree to have a closer look, aether immediately let go off his arms and stood more comfortably as he came closer. the tree was radiating some kind of heat.

you bend over as stood in front of the frostbeering tree, observing its core. "ive never seen a tree with a red core." you said as you held your chin.

"let alone have it radiating heat." you continued. apperantly that caught dilucs interests as well and he too started observing the tree.

he bend over as well, inspecting the core upon closer look. his face was mere inches besides you and you could feel his hair brushing against your cheek as he bend over.

you never thought he would invade your personal space like that, just four weeks ago he was extremely suspicious about you and here he was besides you, shoulders touching.

not knowing when he became comfortable around you, your thoughts got interrupted by a yelp from paimon. diluc and you immediately stood straight and turned around, only to be overshadowed by a big shadow.

in front of you four was a frostarm lawachurl, there was no way of running away since your back was pressed against the big tree behind you.

after you noticed the big monster, you wanted to take care of it immediately. you summoned your spear and got it in your hand, holding it tightly.

you wanted to take a step forward but were instantly pushed back by diluc who held his arm protectively in front of you. you shot him a confusing look and wanted to speak up, "what-" was all you could say.

diluc spoke up before you had a chance to, "its a cryo monster." he said and retracted his arm to fall by his side. he summoned his claymore and approached it, "pyro works best on cryo." he simply explained.

and with that, he rushed to the frostarm lawachurl. aether had alot of trouble breaking its shield with just his anemo power. when diluc started attacking the monster with pyro, the shield almost broke in an instant.

you knew you couldnt do much with just physical damage on the shield. but now the shield was broken, you noticed that the two boys seemed to have it under control.

walking over to paimon who was looking at them in anticipation, you tried to reassure her.

at first she seemed a little shaken up, probably because of the jump scare. in all honesty, you didnt notice the lawachurl as well so you couldnt blame her.

"paimon, are you hurt?" you asked her as you made your way over to her, stepping over some piles of snow in the process. the floating girl turned her head from the fighting boys to you.

she gave you a smile as she saw you and spoke up, "n/n! paimon is totally fine." she said as she closed her eyes and nodded her head vigorously up and down.

you wanted to tell her how you were glad that she was fine, but her features changed slowly into a look of concern, she now looked at aether and diluc who were finishing the frostarm lawachurl.

as she turned her head to look at aether, her brows furrowed, "but paimon doesnt think that aether is fine." she said while floating besides you.

you followed her gaze and laid your (e/c) eyes on aether, he just delivered the finishing blow on the lawachurl but the poor boy was shivering for his life.

knowing damn well he would reject your offer of taking your coat, you decided to not give him a choice. you started walking towards where aether and diluc were standing.

they were both panting, aether more than diluc, you were one hundred percent sure that he got hit by the sheer cold of dragonspine.

you detached your electro amulet from your belt in one swift motion, stuffing the glowing purple stone in the pocket of your pants.

luckily no one saw it. after you did that, you undid your coat and let the material fall from your shoulders while approaching aether, he had his back turned to you.

he didnt notice you walking up to him. you placed your coat on his shoulders, your hand brushing against his upper arm while doing so, you instantly felt like the boy was a frozen statue.

"oh my god aether, youre litterally freezing." you commented as you walked around him, stopping as you made your way in front of him. while you stood in front of him, you helped him take on your coat and he didnt complain.