Forget About the Boy?

James Potter and the Next Generation

Chapter 14: Forget About the Boy?

I was sitting in charms class so bored and tired. Rose was sitting next to me and kept repeatedly hitting me to get my attention.

“Strai, this is the class you’re failing.” She made it seem like failing was unheard of—oh that’s right I forgot who her mother was. “You need to pay attention.”

“You sound like your mother.” I informed her. “It’s scary, please stop.” She glared at me but I smiled innocently.

“So have you talked to James?” She asked.

“No.”

“Are you going to?” She gave me a look that said you better say no or I will hurt you. Did all the women in James family hate him because of me? I feel kind of bad now. Oh well.

“Yes, after class.”

“Strai—“She warned but I cut her off.

“I know, I know, ‘forget about the boy’ easier said than done.” I could feel James staring at me. Like I could literally feel it—it was so weird! I just wanted all of this to blow over but none of the girls understood me. Brax and Ash did, thank god, and have been trying to talk to them about supporting my decision. As you can tell…no such luck. Stubborn women.

 I was going to talk to James after class because the sooner better, right? Okay so not really, I just wanted to get it over with before I lost the nerve. And yet I can already feel it slowly fading away and my Jiminy Cricket saying I should listen to my heart and my Jafar telling me to throw a rock at him (not quite sure either) and to listen to my head. Why must my inner voices argue? Why can’t they just sit in a corner and eat pop corn as I fuck up my life by myself?

“Ms. Riddle are you paying attention to my lesson?” Ms. Carling asked.

“Nope.”

“You are head girl—how I don’t even know—and you are supposed to be setting an example for the other students.”

“I am, I am teaching them useful tools like honesty. I replied to you honestly, so why am I being yelled at?” I said.

“Watch it, or the nargales will get you.” (A/N sound familiar?)

She began to walk away from my desk and then I realized something. “Professor do you know Luna Longbottom?”

“Of course.” She replied dismissively. “She’s my cousin.”

“Oh! That makes way more sense.” Luna had spent two hours during one visit to the Potter’s home over the summer telling me about ‘nargales’. She is a strange one…then again who am I to talk?

After that the class got even more boring until I started to fall asleep into a dream. And boy was it a peculiar one.

I was sitting in the Chamber of Secrets in a circular of all the girls that were important in my life. They were all sitting on random folding chairs.

“Strai,” Hayley began, “you have been thinking about forgiving James again.”

“We are only looking out for you.” Rose reminded.

“Is this an intervention?” I asked in complete disbelief. “My Jafar voice put you up to this didn’t he? That son of a mother loving turtle-nymph!”

“Strai please, think about this through more. Think of yours and James’s history.” Ginny said. I gaped at her.

“James is your son!”