Part 13

"What are you doing up there with her?" Lavender asked, shocked.

"Um.. Lavender!" Ron feigned exaltation, though any toddler could tell it wasn't very convincing.

"I said-" Lavender yelled. "WHAT WERE YOU DOING WITH HERMIONE GRANGER IN THE BOY'S DORMITORY!!"

"Listen Lavender, you misjudged us. There was nothing going on in here. Ron and I-"

"Did I ask you anything Granger?" Lavender cut in. "Do you think I'm stupid? Do I not see how you react everytime you see me?"

"She has nothing to do with it, Lavender. Leave her alone." Ron said sternly.

"Wow, look at you defending her!" she shrieked. "How long this has been going on? How long are you cheating on me?"

"I ain't cheating on you." Ron said quietly.

"And I don't believe you." she sniffed. "If you really love me, then promise me you'll never talk to her ever again."

"I can't do that!" Ron said, incredulous. "She's my best friend, and I will never leave her no matter what!"

Hermione protested feebly. "Ron, if that's what she wants-"

"Then she better leave me as well," Ron finished. "I can't show you proof that I'm innocent because of the lack of witness, but that doesn't mean I'll go around agreeing to every no-make-sense rules you make." Ron stated.

"It's final then," Lavender sniffed. "From today we'll stop seeing each other."

She turned on her heels and rushed towards the door.

Before opening the Gryffindor common room's door, she looked back once again.

To her despondency, she discovered that Ron didn't look at her, nor he was running after her.

She slammed the door, hard, before finally heading out of her house's common room.

"You didn't do a good job, Ron." Hermione scolded, but her expression hardly showed any anger or disappointment.

"You saw what she said!" Ron argued. "That she won't let me talk with you!"

"Then you should have listened to her." Hermione said quietly, though she wished that Ron didn't listen to her and not change his mind about Lavender.

"Are you nuts?" Ron asked incredulously. "Honestly, I don't understand you women." he sighed.

"Yeah, yeah, each woman is a pandora's box and every man is a golden fleece," Hermione snorted. "I am talking logically. If you intended to break up with her, you shouldn't have laid the blame on her."

Ron yawned. "I gave her hints several times. How she couldn't figure it out already is a mystery to me."

"You're talking like a coward." Hermione said. Truth was, she wasn't doing anything sort of bravery. If she weren't afraid to speak her mind, then she would confess to Ron Weasley a lot ago and all this mess could be prevented.

And no matter how many times she told Ron that he didn't do the right thing, she didn't want Ron to undo the damage he made, either. She couldn't trust Lavender; she feared Lavender would start snogging him once again if he went to apologize to her, and she didn't want to take any risks.

"Hermione!" Ron snapped his fingers in front of her.

"Yeah, Ron. I'm here."

"You weren't a second ago." he said. "Whatcha thinking?"

"Um.... transfiguration?" she said uncertainly.

"You are always thinking about studies." he sighed happily. "Anyway, I was wondering if you were up for something this weekend."

"This weekend, why?" she asked.

"We'll go to Hogsmeade this weekend. If you want to, you know, like we could go out-"

Hermione laughed. "You just had a break up, and you have already started seeking another?" she joked. "Good determination."

Ron's ear went pink. "Who said I was asking you out?" he said angrily. "Harry would go too, and I wanted to know if you would join us, that's it."

"If Harry goes, how can I not go?" Hermione was beginning to enjoy teasing him.

"Why, what's so great about Harry?" Ron asked angrily. "How you could go out with him and not me?" he demanded.

"Don't you read witch weekly? Harry and I have a reputation in the wizarding world. And, you're just my...best friend. "

"I don't have time for that garbage called witch weekly," Ron pouted. "And besides, we can go together because we're best friends." he said. "We don't need another reason."

"Ask Lavender out." Hermione said boredly. "She'll be glad to help you out."

"You know I'm not gonna do that. We're not a thing anymore."

"I have homeworks." Hermione said flatly. "Hey, do you remember about the essay professor Slughorn gave us?" She gasped in horror. "I've not finished mine yet!"

"Luckily, Harry and I finished it the day it was given." Ron's eyes were dancing with delight. "It was about....um..finding out an missing element in the said potion, right?"

"Scintillation Solution." Hermione bit the inside of her cheeks. "And we were supposed to find what makes it brew easier."

"Yes, yes." Ron said sheepishly. "I almost forgot."

"You have no idea about this potion, have you?" Hermione yelled. "You and Harry just blindly copied from Half Blood Prince's book!"

"What's harm in that?" Ron asked innocently.

"Ron, you're supposed to learn!" Hermione said excitedly. "If we could just copy things off others, why do think teachers take classes or exams? We could just flick our wands and be witches and wizards."

"Because teachers love to inflict torture on us? What other motives could they have behind taking exams and giving assignments?" Ron mused. "Sometimes I think the devil created exams, so that he could reside and create chaos among us forever."

"Ron you're impossible!" she said incredulously. "I'm going to finish my potion essay." she said. "Unlike some people, I don't take illegal privileges so that I can simply 'pass' in exams. I would rather work hard and take what is rightfully mine." she called out from behind.
.
.
.
Ron shook his head disapprovingly, but a smile was tugging at the corner of his lips.

"Crazy girl," he said to himself in awe.
.
.
.
"Boys." she said to herself in amusement.

#April 26,2021,7:59 pm