Part 10

"I don't understand," Ron said while scribbling on a parchment paper. "Why would she purposely miff you?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Harry asked, annoyed. "Maybe Malfoy told her to do so."

"But she's been Draco's girlfriend for years!" Hermione said. "All these years she never baited an eye on you, but why would she now?"

Harry didn't know whether to feel insulted at her comment or not.

"And even if Malfoy asked her to do so, what's his reason?" Hermione continued. "Why would he ask her to do such a thing in the first place?"

"Didn't I tell you? He might be a death eater. He is using her to distract me." Harry said.

"Harry, you're jumping into conclusion again." Hermione whimpered.

"I'm not jumping into a conclusion, Hermione." Harry said. "I have enough evidence to prove that. I just don't know how to uncover the secret." Seeing Hermione's skeptical reaction, Harry turned to face Ron. "You believe me, right?"

"Er..." Ron took a moment to decide what to say. "I mean, I don't think Pansy nagging you has anything to do with Malfoy. Maybe she's just annoying in general."

"You two think I'm crazy." Harry said, angry.

"Of course not, mate." Ron said. "I think you're giving Malfoy more credits than he deserves."

"Harry, maybe Pansy just wanted to irritate you." Hermione said. "Maybe she wanted to boast about how she bested you in the duel. Maybe-"

"She didn't best me in the duel!" Harry cut in.

"But didn't you say she used a non-verbal spell and attacked you before you had a chance?" Ron asked skeptically.

"Of course she didn't best you in the duel, Harry." Hermione added quickly. "You're no match for her."

"But I can't believe Snape." Ron said. "How could he give you another detention after he worked you up so much?"

"He knows we have quidditch practice in Sunday, that's why. There's no way he's gonna let us win the House Cup this year."

"Potter, I'm afraid I can't let you Gryffindors win this year. If I lose five years in a row, Dumbledore would kick my ass from Slytherin house and I would have to go live in a cave like a bat. So, sorry but 10 points from Gryffindor." Ron did a Snape's impression.

"Ron!" Hermione squealed. Harry burst into giggles.

"No, seriously, you should let Dumbledore know about it. Snape can't just go around doing whatever he wants to do." Ron said.

"As a professor, yes, I believe he has some amount of freedom that he could practice for certain purposes." Snape said from behind. They were in the library, and didn't realize when Snape had crept in behind them.

Harry looked at him. What was he doing here?

"Potter, Professor Dumbledore asked me to summon you, and so you shall come with me, this instant." He looked at Ron and Hermione. "You're Gryffindor House's prefect, I believe. There has been some noises in your house that you need to address." He looked at Ron. "And Weasley, may I suggest you something? While you study, focus fully on it rather than tattling; it might help to improve your grades."

Ron was going to protest, but Hermione tugged his sleeve and stopped him.

"Yes, professor." she said.

"I can't believe you earned a detention from Professor Snape," Draco said. "Full five years in this school and I never managed to get one, how did you do it in your first year?"