Chapter 13 - Calm

It was cold outside as I stepped out of the car that Jeremy was still in. He had driven me over to Erik's house for the dinner that I was going to attend. Before getting out of the car Jeremy had decided to give me the whole 'Tell me if anyone's being a jerk and I will beat them up' speech. It really wasn't necessary, since I didn't spend time with people who were being jerks, but i guess that he thought that it was his duty as an older sibling.

I would, however have liked to have him at my back as I walked up to the massive house that the alpha family lived in. I had been nervous the whole night, of course I would have been, I was going to have dinner with my boyfriend and his family, who wouldn't be nervous?

I took three steps up on the porch, but couldn't bring myself to knock on the door. Instead, I decided to text Erik so that he would let me in. It only took a few seconds for the door to be opened and there stood Erik, grinning at me.

"Hi, sweetie." He greeted me.

I stepped into the entrance and threw a quick look around me to see if there were any parents nearby, when I saw that there weren't any, I gave Erik a peck on the lips. If possible at all, his smile grew even bigger and his arms circled around my waist to pull me into a slow hug.

"Erik, is Liam here?" I heard someone shout from the kitchen.

I already knew what the house looked and where the kitchen was, due to many afternoons playing here when I was younger. It was a nice place, much bigger than my family's, which wasn't that weird. Every alpha family lived in this house, it was kind of like a pack thing.

Erik took my hand and started walking to the kitchen. Every step felt like I was walking towards my doom, for literally no reason, except that I was nervous for meeting Marla and John.

As we entered the warm kitchen Marla looked up from where she stood looking at some kind of notebook and smiled when she saw me. She took the steps forward and went in for a hug before I had even registered it, but I quickly caught on and hugged her back. She was a warm woman, all the way from her smile to the way she talked. No wonder John was a happy man.

John was standing over at the counter, busy with something at the stove, but he said a quick hello over his shoulder. I got a cold drink in my hand, placed there by Marla and Erik motioned me towards a chair at the counter of the kitchen-island. I soon understood that the parents really weren't what I had imagined, it was a much more relaxed climate that I had thought it would be.

Marla chatted easily, bouncing between different topics that I would have something to add to. Erik joined the conversation a some points but you could tell that he would rather watch me enjoy myself, which was a fact that made me blush.

When we sat down for the actual dinner I was anxious that it would create some sort of tension, but the conversation continued. John partook more than one would have thought him to, but was a good addition since he easily made jokes. The only actually uncomfortable part of the evening was when the parents in some way went over to the subject of their other son.

"Marla, did you know that Mike got a pretty decent grade on that assignment. It was the one about the history, right, Liam?"

Marla didn't answer at first, she just went quiet and gave John a subtle glance. He answered her look with a confused one himself, probably not knowing what she meant. After a few quiet seconds he caught on and got an understanding look on is face. Marla and John had probably agreed not to talk about Mike for the night to avoid causing this kind of situation.

Those seconds were probably the most horrible time of my life, since I can not stand such tension, let alone being the one who caused it.

"Hey, did you watch that new series on Netflix?" Erik broke though the silence, looking at me.