Chapter 26 - By The Tranquil Shore

853

[Naomi]

There was something so fascinating about the clock, wasn't there? Whoever thought of the idea to put those cogs and gears together and just entrusted a sole foundation of daily human existence on the way they turned and pushed against each other was a madman. It's so mind-boggling how we recognize time as if it's a basis for the sequence of our lives. Imagine if we did not know what time it is, nor do we use it to schedule events, meetings and other matters?

"Lady Naomi, you have quite an affable reputation amongst the aristocrats. Perhaps there is someone from their association that would sponsor the new transit?" Lord Winslet inquired from the head of the table, where the intellectual noble board seated round- snapping me off of my meaningless trance.

I was dozing off. I did not find neither the clock nor the idea of time entrancing in any way- I was just bored. I didn't know anyone could achieve the threshold of boredom like this; I'd never been this unoccupied and entirely occupied at the same time. There was always something to be excited about outside of my hobbies and my life at home, but during these days it's been very exhausting... Even if the work load was the same, military matters reduced.

"I suppose I could find a contact that would extend their assistance." I answered firmly, sitting up on my seat at the far end of the table. My eyes were flickering from the nobles to the grandfather clock that I was emptily staring at earlier, ticking away there in such a painfully slow pace. "I'm certain that they would not be able to refuse."

"Very well," Lord Winston cleared his throat, standing up from his seat by my right as the senior solicitor; a position that was higher than mine. He bowed his head and opened his palms in courtesy, an adjourning gesture that I have been anticipating for epochs on end. "With all of those concerns being attended to for the day, it is reasonable enough to dismiss this conference. Thank you for your attendance, and I'll see all of you again on the next."

The stern and serious air of the conference hall buzzed with the sound of chairs scraping the floor, as the nobles rose to leave their posts. We bade a court goodbye to each other, only to meet again next week, our relief that another gathering had concluded concealed from the gallantry in our eyes. In the military, we never had anything like this. Most of the scouts bunked together and every goodbye meant "See you after an hour.".

And most of all, farewells didn't come with the feeling of relief. They came with that daily regularity, almost familial, an assurance that wherever we went, we'd always be a soldier. Unlike with politics, once you go home, it feels as if you've stripped the alienating nobility off and you're back to being the human you again.

With being a scout, there was no distinction. You were a soldier just as much as you were a human being. I've learned that much with the whole year I had in reflection. I do not regret being there full-time for my Cole and Lily, but it was alright to miss the military a little, even after all this long, remarkable time... Right?

I gathered all my belongings into my suitcase and walked out of the hall just as soon as the whole board did, and silently made my way out of the silver-pillared Palace and onto the lavish cobblestone streets of Mitras. The pavements were lined with lush green hedges, the trees and flowerbeds blooming lively in the April atmosphere.

I strolled down the stately capital district on Magnum, looking around the high-rise buildings of commerce and other aristocratic business. The upper class citizens sauntered about the stone pavements in their usual chatters of topics only the rich understand, like what theatre play they were going to that week, or what the government was planning with regards to the volunteers.