Chapter 6 - Something More

851

[Naomi]

The evening air filled our bedroom at the Austerlitz Mansion with lingering tranquility, the gentle rustling of the tree leaves outside being the only sound I could hear from my seat in front of my ivory dresser. Brushing my shoulder-length, auburn hair slowly, my mind drifted off onto the memory of our last expedition just a couple of weeks ago, as the image of that boat splitting in half and the dozens of bodies falling from it couldn't be shaken away from my thoughts.

How many other fleets must our troupes have vanquished? Were they successful in finding one that wanted to discuss things?

"You're looking at your reflection like you don't know her." Levi remarked with his usual cold voice from the bed, making me look towards him. He sat by the warm light on his nightstand at the right side, his eyes fixed on a book he was reading that evening.

I turned back to the dresser and put my brush down, muttering. "I guess that's partially true."

In a moment, I heard the sound of the book being put down on the nightstand gently, followed by his voice. "Are you alright, Naomi? What are you thinking of?"

I stood up in all grace, sweeping my long, white skirts aside to make way as I walked towards the bed, Levi's studying gaze fixed on me all the while. I sat there on my side of the bed, letting out a sigh as I lay down. "Too many things to say. Even if you asked me, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm confused about everything."

Levi's eternally wrinkled eyebrows and cold gray eyes met mine, looking at me for a pause before speaking. "Just talk."

"Hmm?" I asked, looking up at him as he still sat against the backrest, one of his feet still on the floor.

"Just talk... And I'll listen." He answered. "Like I always do."

"I don't know what to say." I replied softly.

"Nonsense, you never run out of things to say." He told me. "Talkative brat, always chatting my ears off."

I giggled softly, shaking my head. "Alright. I'll try my best."

With Levi's gaze following my motions expectantly, I scooted over next to him, his arms immediately welcoming me to him the moment I snuggled closer. I put an arm around his torso and one leg over his, feeling the warmth between his shoulder and neck. Taking a deep breath, I let it all out and kept myself at peace now that it was easier to be.

"So what's wrong, kid?" He asked, his deep voice underneath his breath as he made himself comfortable, putting a securing hand on my leg draped around his. I breathed in the light fragrance of his shirt, pausing before answering.

"Me. I feel like something about me is wrong. Still missing." I answered faintly. "I'm so conflicted about everything now that we've discovered things outside of the premises we were raised to believe was the limit of our universe."

"Our world has widened." Levi answered. "The logical outcome is for us to feel small."

"I suppose so." I replied. "But along with its widening... My mind also opens up to the many sides of this issue we have at hand, you know? I'm afraid of what we're bound to discover next."

Levi listened to me intently, not answering but only giving me his full attention, his thumbs gently drawing circles on my arm and leg that he held close to him. I was so at peace, in a place where I could express all my thoughts without the fear of judgment.