Chapter 17 - Slow Down

851

[Naomi]

The first week of July passed by, and somehow, the strange nausea was beginning to diminish in attacks. As always, I was doing errands for work, jumping from the Military Headquarters to the Palace from time to time to finish as many tasks as I could that day.

The constant need to go to the toilet was a minor nuisance, but at least it was starting to go away. I was also able to avoid the smells that were either going to choke me from the inside of my throat or make everything under it come out. Through the few days, I was feeling fine.

I was striding down the halls of the Headquarters that plain Tuesday noon, thinking about what else there was to do next. As I neared the principal entrance, I spotted Tom, the military courier, coming in with his satchel full of mail to or from soldiers. His most important messages were always the reports from the shoreline, and seeing him eased my nerves.

"Hey, Tom!" I greeted, stopping at my spot as the young brunet man in the checkered vest also paused. As soon as my greeting came out of my mouth, I immediately noticed how it felt like I was chasing my own breath; my heartbeats were fast, and my pulse felt as if I had just ran- when in fact I just walked the usual route and speed I always walked in here.

"Hello, Corporal, Your Grace." Tom replied, bowing his head curtly. "It's very, very confusing what to call you."

I laughed, throwing my head back a little as I walked to him. "Stick with Corporal here at the HQ. I won't be offended without the noble title, come on."

"Well, if you say so." He smiled, opening his satchel. "I think I have what you are looking for from me, ma'am."

My eyes lit up, as his searching in his brown leather bag immediately sparked my excitement. Armin's letters were very appreciated, even if they were brief, simple, and the time span had always been just two weeks. There's a lot that could happen in just two weeks, especially now that we were modernizing the relatively primitive world we grew up in. Two weeks could feel like two months.

"Thank you, Tom." I smiled brightly, receiving the small, off-white envelope that he handed me. He gave me a salute from the forehead and walked off. "I'll see you around, Corporal Naomi."

"See you!" I bade back as he walked down the hallway, smiling faintly as I reverted my gaze to the envelope. With my pulse still hitching up, I took a few moments to exercise my breath so it could flow steadily again.

Strange, I thought. I shrugged it off and walked towards the entrance, back into the afternoon glow of the sun over the Headquarter's cobblestone quadrangle. Military Police officers were dotting the whole place, patrolling, reporting, others fraternizing. Since most of the scouts were at the shoreline, the interior of the walls were filled with the members of this brigade. They made me miss mine.

It was alright. I was okay being the one who always fell back to lead from the inside, to be the direct bridge between the military and the government. My job made it easier to pass projects and policies that the Scout Regiment drafts, so I was alright with all of it.

I leaned on the stone pillar at the head of the Headquarter's short-flight stairs, opening the envelope and taking off the letter. With a faint smile on my face, I began reading.

July 3rd 851
Military Headquarters, Mitras, Sina

Hey Naomi.

I hope things are doing well there at Court. I just learned about the railway system project, and heard how surprised the Marleyans were, seeing that you and the Commander found it easy to pick up modern engineering. That's awesome.