Chapter 24 - Seemingly Eternal Winter

854

[Naomi]

"Evade the rocks! Get out of the way!" I screamed loud enough for my throat to burn, flying through the hot gunpowder air to dodge the flying chunks of concrete hurled by that monstrous bastard of a titan. I watched in horror as my comrades were struck down like insects, suffering deaths and injuries that did not follow the original surmise.

"Come out, Levi. Time's running out, you know." The guttural growl of the Beast reverberated through the blood-ridden atmosphere, making me perk up in attention to where Levi was. He should take him now, there's not much time left.

And I definitely didn't want to get involved in the assaulting business. My thunder spears had been used in vain- for every strike I blow, I missed. I just kept missing.

"Cara!" I roared as I hovered over to a destroyed wall, clinging atop its edge. She flashed me a frantic look, yelling over the crashing noise of crumbling boulders and screaming men.

"Yes, Corporal?!" She responded, rolling to the side to avoid a hurtling rock.

"Help me round up the Fourth Squad and Team Five!" I jumped off the rough surface as I sensed an incoming boulder, throwing myself to the rocky ground. Shakily, I got up in an abrupt motion, my head ringing in the quick manner I heaved myself up mixed with the scratches on my skin. "We have to go support Jean with the other Warriors!"

"Roger that, Corporal!" Cara nodded briskly, before taking off in a lightning-like speed through the concrete rain. I hissed, biting my lip as a strong sting came up my temples, making me tap my fingers on the side of my head.

When I looked down at my hand, the crimson red liquid stained my fingertips. I was getting dizzier by every burning second, and I had to get it dressed immediately or I would suffer the infection of an open wound.

Goddammit. I cursed, setting off on my sore feet again, running through the quad and nimbly dodging the rocks that were still falling from the gigantic hands of the Beast Titan. We had to go help Jean neutralize the two Warriors, but merely thinking about plunging my thunder spears into their bodies and watching their flesh and blood splay out everywhere made my insides churn.

Perhaps sitting with them earlier wasn't the smartest choice I've made. Now I've seen and met them in human form and I refused to blind myself that I was only murdering a mindless titan.

When will all of this end?

"Seven, Nine!" I yelled as I sped through the air, catching a whirling glimpse of Eren jumping off the nape of his titan that was still hanging from the tree-like figure, transforming again in a searing flash of light. "Guard the Jaw Titan! Don't let it get near Eren!"

"Understood, Corporal!" The dozen members of the two units responded with bated breaths, coming to position to defend the main weapon as he dragged the crystal to his humongous mouth.

I dashed off, taking the route to the demolished alley next to the building where the Cart Titan clung. Its huge machine gun still rattled unceasingly on through the air when a sudden, wide-ranged explosion blew from the west, resulting in a fire-like nuke that shook the ground in a deafening noise.

They're here.

My wild eyes spotted Timothy and Kurt, making me shout to grab their attention away from the mind-numbing noise. "Timothy, Kurt! Begin the retrieval, let's move!"