Chapter 25 - Coming of Age

853

[Naomi]              

"It's going to be their first birthday in two weeks. We need to start planning the party now." I quarreled, leaning towards my husband as he sat on the couch in front of our bedroom's fireplace, the incandescent golden glow of the fire illuminating his serious face as he kept reading.

"You're the socialite here," Levi replied, flipping a page without even giving me his eyes. "I leave it all to you. I have no knowledge whatsoever that can contribute with... Party planning."

"Ugh, you're such a dull life partner." I groaned, slumping down on the soft backrest with my hands twined on top of my stomach. I looked up to him, trying to taunt him in attempt to pierce through his impenetrable field of focus. "I wish I had married Pierre. He knows a lot about gatherings,"

"Alright." Levi answered vacantly, his shrewd eyes deftly moving across the lines on the paper. "We'll file the divorce papers tomorrow so you can go accept his proposal."

I was fuming now, crossing my arms against my chest in a sulking manner, my face a knot of annoyance at him. "I can't wait."

"I'll handle it later. Just don't bother me right now. The plot is starting to stir." He replied flatly.

I glared at him, my lips involuntarily cornering in annoyance, the will to persist. "You seriously can't think of anything you want to do for your kids' birthday? First birthday?"

"You know what I want to do." He answered blankly, flipping another page.

"Yes, we'll do that too, but I want them to have fun. To be around other people." I replied, turning to face him in attempt to gather his attention; but all I got was more heat to curdle my blood.

"Which is why you shouldn't ask me anymore." Levi answered, his studious gaze still anchored into the olden pages of that godforsaken book. He'd picked it up just yesterday, it was about political theories and all that kind of astute stuff only old men with overly critical minds understand. It didn't really interest me, so I didn't read with him.

He seemed so engrossed in it. Well, come to think of it, if I was that engrossed in something, I would have never allowed anyone to pester me like I was doing right now with him- for I could never focus on what I'm reading and it would ruin the whole experience for me.

Knowing it must be the same for him, I slouched down with my knees folded on the couch, about ready to give up trying to pique an interest in him to plan a party. I sat there for a few moments, staring at him in silent impatience, and how he dedicated his complete and utter devotion to that five hundred page-long manifesto by shutting out the whole world- including me- his wife, for gods' sake- just to read that wretched book.

But I wasn't going to lie. Something about men that read a lot was undeniably alluring. Anyone who would look at Levi would not guess that this was his favorite pastime, but in truth, he had the most amazing personal library I had ever seen. He could even best my uncle on it, and I surmise that every idea he had was enriched upon by the literature he consumed. It was why conversations with him feel so entrancing.

Levi reclined there, his grave countenance unchanging; the gleam of the mantelpiece's fire still waning about his irritatingly handsome face. Every now and then he drew in a silent breath, as if he was not at all aware I was staring at him, and his broad chest rose and fell gently with his shoulders; occasionally letting me catch a glimpse of his chiseled figure underneath his ash gray shirt. My curious eyes were really enjoying themselves right now, but my mind was still ablaze with annoyance of his apathy over me.