Beyond the Sea

Somewhere, beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me...
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailing

"God am I gonna miss her." Bucky says to the man sitting next to him. His train had just left the station to take him to camp. He had stuck his head out the window and waved to you until he could no longer see you.

"One fine dame." The man replies.

"One fine dame for sure."

Somewhere, beyond the sea
She's there watching for me
If I could fly like birds on high
Then straight to her arms
I'll go sailing

"God am I gonna miss him." You said to the teary eyed Steve next to you. His train had just left sight, along with his charming smile hanging out the window waving until he was just a speck on the tracks.

"He's gonna miss you too, (Y/N)." Steve tells you comfortingly.

"I know." You whispered in response.

It's far, beyond the stars
It's near, beyond the moon
I know... beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon...

Every time you heard of a ship bringing back soldiers, you went just in case Bucky happened to be one of the faces in the crowd.

Time and time again you would go to the docks, only to feel disappointment as soon as you realized he wasn't home yet.

Steve tried to get you to stop going, and you did for a while, but soon he left too and you had even more of a reason to go.

After each heart breaking trip to the docks, you would make your way out to the beach and watch the sunset and the ships gliding across the crystal blue water. The moment of calm after the pain of yearning for your best friend and your love back.

We'll meet, beyond the shore
We'll kiss just like before
Happy we will be beyond the sea
And never again, I'll go sailing

The training was harsh, but Bucky found it was worth it when he knew he was helping his country.

When he got rescued by Steve, he couldn't believe his eyes. He was so happy to see his best friend again, but it only reminded him more of home, and how much he missed you.

He would constantly ask about you even though Steve had already told him everything he knew the first time he asked.

Bucky was sure that one day, he would set foot on a ship back home, meet you at the docks, and kiss you like he'd never kissed you before.

I know, beyond a doubt...
My heart... will lead me there soon

As time went on, you started receiving fewer and fewer letters from him. You of course had been terrified for him since he left the train station, but now, even more so.

The final letter you received regarding James Buchanan Barnes was sealed in a red envelope.

We'll meet, I know we'll meet, beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we will be beyond the sea...
And never again, I'll go sailing

This was the riskiest mission Bucky had ever been on. The only thing keeping him going at this point was the need to get back to you.

The thing Bucky wanted the least was for the final thing you read about him be from a red envelope.

And as he was falling down onto the snowy mountains of Austria, his last thought was how he wasn't going to make it back to you.

It nearly killed him.

No more sailing
So long, sailing, sailing
No more sailing