14

You can hear the chaos breaking out as the Gladers realize that the girl is awake.
Laughing, you make your way down the stairs and out into the square where you see Newt arguing with Clint whilst Teresa runs off into the deadheads with Zart and Gally chasing after her.

"What do you mean she just 'woke up'? How'd she get out?", Newt demands to Clint, who scratches his neck nervously, his face turning red.
"I dunno, she just left".

"By 'left' you mean she kicked you in the balls and jumped out the window", you correct and Clint looks at you, clearly embarrassed. The Gladers laugh at him and Frypan tries to settle them.

"C'mon guys, go easy on him. He actually should be honoured to be the first person here to get beat by a girl"

"Ahem", you cough, raising your hand, "I actually gave Gally that honour on my first day here".

Zart runs up to your side, panting.

"I don't—*breath*—know where the hell—*gasp*— she went—*pant*—she disappeared into the forest", Zart says to Newt, gasping for air after every three words.

"Bloody hell", Newt sighs, running his hand down his face in exasperation.

"Maybe you should let me talk to her", you insist and Newt nods.
"Yeah, she'll probably open up to you", he smiles and leans in to whisper in your ear, "thanks Love", and he kisses you swiftly on the cheek, leaving you slightly stunned. That's the first time he's kissed you in front of the other Gladers; They didn't really seem to notice though.

You smile back at him, then turn and jog off to the Deadheads to find Teresa.

"Hello?", you call as you wander around, "it's just me, Y/N".

Suddenly the girl drops down from a tree twenty feet ahead of you, scaring the life out of you.

"Hi", she smiles innocently as if your soul didn't just leave your body due to her jump scare.

"Hey Teresa. The boys sent me to come and talk to you"

"Where am I, what is this place, why are you here, and what the hell is going on?", she asks calmly, but her voice quavers slightly.

"Don't worry. Your in the Glade. Everything's fine", you lie. Well, it's not totally a lie; everything does seem fine at the moment.

"Why are you the only girl?"

You exhale loudly, "that's kinda a long story"
She waits for you to continue.

"I'm not supposed to be here. I don't really know what happened, but one day I was in the Springs, next I'm in the Glade", you shrug.

She asks a few more questions and then the two of you just talk for a while. It's nice to be around another girl after so long, and Teresa seems like a pretty cool person.
Eventually you walk back to the Homestead where the boys all wait anxiously for your return. Teresa's immediately trampled by the boys and you have to shoo them off, leaving Teresa to talk to Thomas alone in the Deadheads.

You walk around the Glade for a while, until you spot Newt sitting in the Gardens, leaning against the barn in the shadows. Slowly you approach him, but stop when you hear muffled whispers. Newts alone though.

"Newt?", you whisper and he whips around to face you, then he sighs in relief.

"Thank goodness it's you Y/N. Care to join me?", he offers and you smile slightly, sitting next to him on the cold earth. Your hand slips into his and your fingers interlock.

He stares at you for a long while and you giggle, "what?"

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are? You are stunning Love".