7

I apologize in advance.

Your in a large room, kind of similar to a gymnasium. Targets have been placed around the room with different ropes, climbing walls, bridges. It sort of resembled a playground, minus the guns and knives and metal staffs littered about the room .There are a few other children, all quite a bit older then you, probably thirteen, but your only six.

Your spinning a knife around in your fingers, waiting for the Head of  Security and Combat to arrive.
Nobody socializes. It's not permitted.

Suddenly a large, bald man walks in and everyone stands at attention in a straight line.

"Training day number 204. Today we will be practicing hand-to-hand combat. Everyone find a partner", his voice is deep and authoritative. You were scared of this man.
You begin to walk away, hoping you'll be able to find a partner, although people don't usually want to fight with you.

"Y/N", the large man says and you face him, "you will fight me today".

Again?!?

Your heart sinks into your stomach and it feels like a tennis ball was stuck in your throat. You know that the man targets you. He chooses to spar with you, and he never goes easy on you. It's embarrassing to fight him, because you usually end up with an ice pack to your eye and a bloody nose.

"Yes sir", you mumble, heading to the mat.
You ball your tiny hands into fists and hold them in front of your face.

He throws a couple punches, which you block, and then you kick him in the liver, which is a painful blow.

Today, instead of completely pulverizing you, he actually gives you pointers and helps you.

"Keep your dominant hand free to punch.... hold tension in your gut.... remember to plant your bottom leg when you kick... don't leave your face unprotected...".

By the end of the lesson, he pats you on the shoulder as you drink from your water bottle.
"Nice work Y/N. I know hand-to-hand isn't your strong suit. You're much better with a weapon".

It's true, you prefer to have an object you can use, a knife or a stick. Your quite good at knife throwing.
You walk out of the Training Centre, feeling proud of your work, when you overhear the man talking with Ava, the chancellor.

"Yes, she's improving. She will be ready for the job when you need her".
"Thank you Cory, I appreciate your assistance. I knew she would be ready eventually, but with the given special attention she required, she'll be able to move on to our next project". Ava responds.

She's not talking about you. She wouldn't be talking about you.
But you have been getting quite a bit of extra training hours, and Cory had been assisting you more then the others.

Cory sighs, "are you sure she's the right person for this Ava? She's only a child. There are others— more fit and prepared who would do an exceptional job".
Ava shakes her head, " I knew you'd get attached to the trainees to easily. She must be the one to do this. Her life is separable in the off chance that something goes wrong".

Cory nods firmly and turns to leave, but then he sees you.
You turn and sprint away.

You wake to someone shaking you violently. For a moment you fear that it's Gally, so you curl up closer to to Homestead and put your arms out defensively.
"Stop!", you shout, squeezing your eyes shut.
The hand that was shaking you finds your face and you hear the soothing voice of Newt.