13

Newt's P.O.V

I'm talking to the new Greenie, Thomas, when I hear the light, airy laughter of Y/N.
I turn around to look at her beautiful face and instead I see her laughing with Gally.

Gally??

I'm about to interject but then I see her smiling face, and recognize that she's genuinely happy. I feel a pang in my chest, as if someone had punched and deflated my heart. I don't know why it hurts to see her happy; that's terrible of me. But it's not because she's happy, but rather because she's happy with someone else.

"See'ya Tommy", I say absently while patting the boy on the back and stand up, walking over to Y/N.

"Hey Love", I say, placing my hand on her shoulder.

She spins around, a huge grin on her face, spreading across her bright red cheeks.
"Newtiee!", she exclaims much too loudly and throws her arms around me.

I press my hand against the small of her back and look questioningly at Minho and Gally.

"What'd you shanks do to her?", I grimace and both the boys hold up their hands.

"Don't look at us!", Minho quickly stammers.

I pull away from Y/N's tight grip around my midsection and look at her face. Her E/C eyes are dazed and her cheeks are much too red. Then I realize: way she dances around without a care and seems so unusually confident around all the boys.

She's drunk.

I look to Gally and he shrugs, "she was pounding the stuff back like it was apple juice".

I sigh and look at Y/N who skips off, far too close to the fire for my liking. She takes Chuck by the hand and starts spinning him around, laughing and stumbling around. She seems happy enough.
Then she takes off her sweater—which she never does. I've only seen her without a sweater once and that was when she first came in from the maze. A couple boys grin and whistle catcalls at her when they see her tight black tank top. I stare for a moment, stunned by her beauty, but quickly snap out of it and go envelope her in my arms.

"Shuck off slintheads. And stop staring at her", I feign annoyance and anger, but I couldn't blame them for staring; Y/N is gorgeous.

I wrap my arm protectively around Y/N's waist and guide her away from the bemused Gladers who continue to stare at her. We walk to the Deadheads and Y/N mutters my name.

"Neeeewwwwwt", she sings and I chuckle.

"Yes, Love?"

She smiles, "I love when you call me that".

At this moment I realized something: Y/N's drunk. Obviously. So she's likely to be more truthful and talkative, so I could get any information out of her. I know that sounds bad, and it kinda is, but I know there's something she's not telling me. I can see it behind her smile and in her eyes when she lets down the act in her darker moments; like when she was telling me about the voices. So I used my opportunity.

"Oh yeah, Love?" I ask, intentionally emphasizing the 'Love', causing her to blush even more.

I sit down against the west wall, Y/N sitting on my lap with her head buried in my chest.

"Y/N?"

"Yes Newt?"

"Is something wrong?"

She smiles at the question, "nothings wrong right now. Gally's juice made the pain go away"

"What pain?", I press on. Although I feel guilty, I'm more curious and desperate to be able to help her.

She doesn't speak for a while. Just sits there with her face hidden from me. It's not until I feel her breath quicken and her body shake that I realize she's crying.