9

Everyone rushes Ben into the Homestead and immediately start strapping him to the bed.

You've seen people get stung before, it wasn't pretty.

They lift up his shirt and you see the black-red wound with blue veins snaking out from the gash.

"What can we do?", you ask once everyone had left the room, leaving you and the other Medjacks to take care of Ben.
Clint shrugged.

"Nothing we can do".

The thought breaks your heart. Usually, you don't feel pity for people, but knowing that there's nothing you can do to help this boy is saddening.
You didn't know Ben, but you know that nobody deserves that fate.

Eventually, Ben blacks out, his body twitching and writhing.

Someone grabs your wrist, pulling you out the door and you whip around to see Newt smiling sadly at you, "C'mon love".

You go with him as he drags you off to the forest.

"What are we doing out here?", you ask as he pulls you deeper into the forest.

He grins mischievously, "you'll see. We're almost there".

You roll your eyes at his secretiveness. He stops suddenly, turning around and placing his hands on both of your eyes.
"Is this really necessary?". You sigh, but he just shushes you.

He walks backwards, pulling you forward, for a while, until he stops again.

Newt pulls his hands away, revealing a small pond with a creek, surrounded by pine trees like the ones back in the Springs.
Your breath hitched as you looked at the astonishing sight.

"It's beautiful", you whisper.
Newt wraps his arms around your waist and places his chin on your shoulder, his warm breath on your neck, sending chills down your spine.
"It's even more beautiful with you here", his lips brush your ear and you blush uncontrollably.

You clear your throat, "so—um... why are we here?".

"I was thinking we could hang out. Maybe go for a swim" he suggests, taking off his shirt.
You can't help but stare.
Newt walked gracefully into the pond, floating on his back in the water.

He raises his eyebrows, "you coming?".

You nod, but don't move. You don't want to take your shirt off,—even though Newt technically saw you without a shirt once, but you were unconscious— so you jump into the pond, fully clothed.

The water is cold, but bearable, and you get used to it quickly.
You swim over to Newt, laying beside him and staring up at the sky.

———————

The two of you swim for hours, until your pruny and tired.

When you emerge from the water, your clothes stick to you like glue, and you don't like the feeling.

Newt and you walk together back to the Glade, laughing and joking.
You notice people staring, but disregard them.

Newt goes to work in the gardens, leaving you outside the homestead with a quick kiss.
You smile and lay down on a hammock, closing your eyes.

"I saw that", says a voice from beside you. You jump, and whip around to see Minho leaning against a tree, smirking at you.

"Saw what?", you ask, annoyed. Was it really too much to want a nap?

"What I saw, was you and Newt kissing", He says it accusingly, like you committed a crime.

Your face flushes, but you try to hide it, with no success.

"Minho, it's not what it looks like", you explain slowly, but you realize that it's exactly what it looked like.

"So you and Newt are a thing? Of all the guys in the Glade, you chose him? Hm", Minho looks you up and down judgementally, as if this changed everything about you.

"Yeah I chose him. Newt is... he's just perfect". You sigh and Minho pretends to be offended.

"More perfect then me?"
"Oh, one hundred percent".

Minho continues to ask bothersome questions and annoy you, but eventually you shoo him away, laying down on the hammock and closing your eyes.

Your half asleep, when you hear it. Newts voice.
But it's like when you tried to run into the Maze. Like it's in your head, almost as if Newt was speaking directly behind your eyes.

I'll never really love you Y/N.
What? Why would Newt say that. Is this really him?

You are a monster Y/N. Evil, violent... why would I ever love you?

It's a good question. Why would Newt love you? Pity, desperation, pleasure?

Everyone here hates you, ya'know? We all want you gone. Minho should've left you to be eaten by the Grievers.

It was so clearly his voice. His British accent and all. Newt was saying these things.

I hate you Y/N.

No. Not him too.

You squirm and writhe, trying to escape these words, but you can't escape yourself. Newt continues to yell cruel things at you, making you cry, screaming at him to stop.

Worthless bloody shank

"Stop! Stop!" You scream to yourself, hugging your legs to your chest as you sob in a ball.

At some point, you must've fallen asleep, because Newt is standing over you, and when you see him, all the words come flooding back.

"Y/N, are you okay?", he asks, placing his hand gently on your back.

His voice sounded so sincere, you wanted to believe he really did like you, but he told you last night that he didn't. He made that very clear. So why was he pretending to be nice now?

"Love?".

You look up, making eye contact and staring into his chocolatey brown eyes.
"I... I'm fine". You lie, standing up and rushing off to the Medjacks without another word to Newt.

You can't stop thinking about it, even when you try distracting yourself with work. Newt said that stuff to you. That you know. It wasn't a dream or your imagination. He said it. It was Newt speaking to you.
But he seemed so oblivious now.

You groan in frustration, slamming down the bandages you were trying to untangle.

Suddenly, there's a wailing siren, and you look around in alarm.
You look to Clint and Jeff, but they exchange an excited glance and rush down the stairs.
Confused, you follow them and see all the Gladers crowding around the box.

You tap Chuck—who is bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet— on the shoulder.
"Chuck, what's the alarm mean?".

Chuck looks at you wi to a huge smile in his face, "it's the greenie alarm".

"And that is...?"

"It means, there's a new Greenie coming".

A/N— sorry I haven't updated in a while, my mother doesn't let me have my phone in my room anymore and I do my best work at midnight.

I'm so shucking tired and I have an exam tomorrow so I'm not proofreading, sorry if it's trash.

Thank you for reading you are all awesome shanks.

—A3