Chapter 35 - Broadway

***** Five years Later *****

Lynn stood at the edge of the stage and when she heard her cue she came in wearing a long, white sparkling evening gown and a tall feathered headpiece. Her gown had a split up the side that went to the top of her thigh and she had a huge feathered boa around her shoulders.

She walked to the middle of the stage and started singing beautifully as background dancers and singers joined in but she was the main star of the show. She danced around for a while singing and then hit a ridiculously high note as the background dancers fell to the floor around her and she struck a pose, raising her arm above her head.

"Yes!" the director shouted. "That was amazing Lynn! Absolutely amazing! You're a star waiting to happen, just wait and see," he said with a huge smile. "This time next year everyone in New York City will know your name!"

"Thank you sir. Was there anything I need to work on or change?"

"No! Do it exactly that way tomorrow. Don't change a thing!" he said with a huge smile.

Lynn went backstage to the dressing room and took off the heavy, uncomfortable headpiece and itchy dress and slipped on a silk robe before wiping away the heavy stage makeup with a wet wipe.

Her cell phone rang and she looked down to see her best friend Kate calling.

"Hey Kate! What's up?" she smiled.

"Not much. Just calling to see how my little star is. You're dream of being on Broadway is about to come true tomorrow. How does it feel?"

"Surreal. I still can't believe the director picked me for the lead role in a major Broadway production when I've only ever done local amateur theater. I was only trying out for the experience. I never in a million years thought he'd pick me. He took a big risk by casting an unknown like me."

"Well I guess he knows a star when he sees one ........ Speaking of stars. Did you see Brady has a new movie coming out?"

Lynn took a deep breath and exhaled.

"No I didn't."

"Yeah. This makes his fifth movie. It's a big one this time. It just finished filming. He's starring alongside Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise and he plays an FBI agent. It looks like there's a lot of fighting and action in it."

All of Brady's movies from the very first one had been hits.

"Kate, I don't know why you always insist on keeping me up to date on everything he's doing."

Kate paused and said, "Because. He's the love of your life Lynn. What you had with Brady doesn't come along every day. You guys were so perfect together ...... I'm hoping one day you two will realize you were meant to be and get back together."

"Brady's amazing Kate. Don't get me wrong ..... a big part of my heart still loves him and always will. He was my first ........ but we just weren't meant to be. Life got in the way and we wanted different things in different places. Sometimes love just isn't enough."

Kate took a deep breath and sighed. "Yeah. I guess you're right."

"Are you still coming tomorrow?"

"Would I miss my best friend's Broadway debut? Of course not. I'm flying out tonight and I've got a hotel booked close to the theater. I'll be there sitting with your family and cheering like a crazy person."

"Good. I can't wait to see you. It feels like it's been forever."

"Well that's what happens when you move all the way to the other side of the country to follow your dreams. You go two years without seeing your best friend."