Chapter 20 - The Kiss

Lynn grabbed the tent posts out of her bag  and lined them up by size. Then she laid out the tarp part that went under the tent and grabbed out 4 metal spikes, one for each corner to anchor them down. Then she laid out her tent and fastened it to the tarp and put together the bendy rods that went inside to hold the shape of the tent and started tying them to the sides of the tent. Before she could finish she heard Brady yell "Done!" 

"What!? There's no way!" she yelled, crawling out of her tent and looking over at Brady's completed tent in astonishment. "How?" 

He stood next to the perfect tent and smiled with this hands on his hips. 

"Let me look at this to make sure you did it right and didn't cut any corners," she told him, eyeing it suspiciously. She looked and saw he had the tarp under it and it was anchored down with the metal posts and she checked to make sure everything inside was set up right and it was perfect. 

She crawled out of his tent and her mouth was hanging open. "How did you do that so fast? I still had about five more minutes on mine." 

"I used to be a boy scout when I was little and every year our troop held a competition to see who could put up a tent right the fastest and the winner would get a big medal and bragging rights for the year. I always won." 

"You didn't tell me you were a boy scout. That's not fair!" she laughed. 

"Hey you didn't ask." 

"How long did you do it? I just can't picture you wearing one of those little boy scout outfits with the khaki shorts and long socks and the sash. That would be hilarious!" 

He glared at her and smacked her arm playfully. 

"Hey a lot of women found my sash very sexy," he teased. "No not really," he laughed. "I started when I was 9 and quit when I was 12 and started middle school because I didn't have time for it anymore with sports. I can still start a fire, put up a tent, catch a fish and use a compass though so it wasn't a total waste." 

 She looked at him and couldn't help but laugh. 

"What?"

"I just can't get the image out of my head of you in the little boy scout uniform. It's hilarious." 

"You may be laughing now but I'll be the one laughing when you're up on stage singing and dancing when you audition for the play," he laughed. 

Her heart sank and she realized he was right. She had really agreed to audition for a play. She had been so confident that she could beat him that she made the bet without thinking. There was NO WAY she could get up in front of a bunch of people and sing and dance. 

"Are you really going to hold me to that bet? You cheated! You didn't tell me you were some master tent builder! That's not fair!" 

He laughed. "Hey! A bet's a bet. If you would've won you would've held me to it ....... so you're auditioning!" he said with a big smile before going over and finishing her tent for her quickly. 

She suddenly felt sick at the idea of auditioning for a play in front of people. 

"I don't even know why you're so worried. I've seen you sing and dance and you're really good." 

"You what?! When have you ever seen me sing or dance!?" she asked in shock. 

"The other night. You had your huge window open and the light on and I could hear you singing and see you dancing around from my front porch. You have a beautiful voice." 

"Are you serious!? That's so embarrassing," she said, dropping her face into her hands. 

He got out of the tent and walked over and took her hands away from her face and lifted her chin up to look into his eyes.