Chapter 29 - Popping the Question

She walked in and sat down on Brady's bed and before she could speak he said, "I asked you to come over because I really need to talk to you about something. It's been driving me crazy."  

He was pacing the floor and she could tell he had a lot on his mind. 

"What is it Brady? What's driving you crazy?" 

"This is uncharted territory for me. I've never had this problem before and I don't know what to do about it." 

"What problem?" she asked, worried by the look of anxiety on his face.

"Me and you. This back and forth, cat and mouse game that we have going on. Just when I'm giving up hope that we could ever be more than friends, you kiss me at the camp out. Then you say it was a mistake and you only want to be friends again and I feel like I'm right back at square one. Then when you kissed me at the play rehearsal that was on a whole other level. That was the most amazing kiss I had ever had in my entire life and I felt something I've never felt before. That wasn't acting Lynn. Then afterwards you didn't say anything to me and went back to acting like nothing happened between us. Then the way you kissed me tonight ........ I need to know once and for all what this is Lynn. Not knowing is driving me insane. Are we just friends ............ or are we more?" 

She sat there in shock, processing the words he just said. He sounded like he wanted to be more.

"I'm just as confused as you are Brady. I'm feeling things I know I shouldn't feel because I know you don't like me like that ....... I mean how could you? You're Brady Quinn and I'm just me. I'm a nobody. When I kissed you at the camp out I was so afraid I messed everything up between us and our friendship because I knew there was no way you were feeling the same way I was."

He stopped pacing and looked at her, his eyes locking onto hers as he asked hesitantly, "What were you feeling?"

She looked down at her hands. Too nervous to say it while looking at him. 

"I feel like I'm falling in love with you and it scares me to death. I'm scared because what if I fall in love and you don't feel the same way and I get my heart broken? What if it ruins our friendship and I lose you from my life all together?" 

Brady sat down in his chair and pulled it up in front of Lynn, taking her hands in his. 

"Look at me ....... please," he said softly and she raised her watery eyes to look into his. 

She couldn't believe she just told him she was falling in love with him. Her mind was racing and suddenly her throat was as dry as the Sahara desert. Her heart was pounding and her hands were shaking. Was it getting hot in here?  

"Lynn," he said softly, pulling her attention back to him. "When we kissed at the play tonight it was like fireworks. I didn't want to stop and if everyone hadn't been there watching I wouldn't have. I've liked you for a while now but I didn't think you felt the same way. It seemed like you were trying to keep me in the friend zone and no matter what I did I couldn't get out of it." 

He looked down at her hands in his and laughed, "That's a problem I've never had before. I'm always the one putting girls in the friend zone." 

"I did that to protect myself Brady. My head kept telling me that there was no way you could like me as more than a friend. You're so far out of my league that I didn't even want to let my mind think for a second that I had a chance because I'd just get my heart broken." 

He shook his head, "You're not out of my league Lynn. You're amazing. You're so easy to talk to and you're the most chill, down to earth girl I've ever known. You're beautiful, funny, talented, humble, smart, sweet. I could go on all day about all the wonderful things about you. I don't ever want you to think you're not good enough for me Lynn. It's the other way around okay? I would be the luckiest guy in the world if you would agree to be my girlfriend."