Chapter 4 - The Search

*****Lynn's Point of View*****

Lynn laid down in bed and tried to go to sleep but she couldn't do it. Normally she would've laid in bed binge watching Netflix half of the night or reading a book on Wattpad until she passed out but now there was absolutely nothing to do. It was driving her insane.

She was so bored she went into Wes's room to see what he was up to and he was just as insanely bored as her. He was laying in bed bouncing a tennis ball off of the ceiling and catching it over and over again. 

"I'm so flippin' bored. This sucks," she muttered, plopping down next to him.

"Yeah I don't think sucks is a strong enough word for what this is. If I don't post a video to my stream all summer people will think I died or something. I'll probably lose all my 300,000 followers. It'll be like starting all over again from scratch! Mom doesn't realize how important I am and that there are a LOT of people waiting for my posts and wanting to know what I'm up to. I can't just ghost all of them and disappear."

She sat there thinking for a minute. "I just thought of a plan," she whispered, turning on her side towards him. 

He turned on his side too and said, "What plan?" 

"Tomorrow when Mom goes to work we're going to tear this house apart until we find our phones and your Xbox. Then when we find them we'll use them until it's almost time for Mom to come home and then we'll hide them back in her hiding spot so she'll never know."

"You're brilliant. I don't know why I didn't think of that," he whispered back.  

The next day Lynn watched as her Mom pulled out of the driveway for work and disappeared down the road and shouted, "The coast is clear! Operation Find our Phones can commence!" 

Wes came out of his room immediately and said, "I'm ready. Let's do this!" 

"Ok. You take the upstairs and I'll take the downstairs," she told him. 

"What about the basement and attic?" he asked. "Oh and the garage and the shed out back!" 

"Ugh," she groaned. "Ok. You take the upstairs and the attic and I'll take the downstairs and the basement. Then if we still haven't found them then we'll meet and work on the garage and shed together. Deal?" 

"Deal!" he said, shaking her hand and getting to work right away. 

She started downstairs and went through every cabinet and drawer, looked under every bed and inside every closet from top to bottom. After the entire downstairs was clear she started working in the basement and it was a little dark and dusty. She hadn't been down here in a long time. As she was going through some boxes she found some of the old puzzles and board games they used to play when they were little. It brought back a lot of memories. Back before their parents had gotten divorced they used to have a family game night once a month and it was a lot of fun. She really missed those days. 

She also found an old Rubik's cube and jump rope that had been her Mom's when she was a little girl and her Mom's old Cabbage Patch doll. That thing was SO ugly but her Mom said it was so popular when she was a little girl people had fist fights in the store to get one. She couldn't even imagine. She also found the old walkie talkies her and Wes used to use to talk to each other on opposite sides of the house when they were little before they had cell phones. She decided to keep those with her because they could come in handy. 

After having no luck in the basement she trudged upstairs and yelled, "Wes! The downstairs and basement are clear. No luck!"

A few minutes later he appeared, dusting some dust and cobwebs off his clothes. 

"No luck upstairs or in the attic either. I guess we'll head to the garage," he said but then he spotted the walkie talkies in her hands.