Chapter 27 - The Final Show

"Hey Brady!" she said, walking into his bedroom and sitting on the bed. "Are you ready to rehearse our lines for Act 3?" 

"Yeah," he said, getting up off his chair and sitting on the bed next to her. 

"Okay. In Act 3 Penelope has finally been rescued and she's testifying in front of the court about the murder she witnessed. When she comes face to face with the killer again she panics and Matt Huchins is there to hug her and tell her everything will be ok and that she can do this. She goes back in and finishes testifying and the murderer is sentenced to life in prison without parole. Then Matt Huchens proposes to her and kisses her passionately and that's the end," she read off. 

"So we have another kiss in Act 3? That kiss earlier ....... that was interesting wasn't it?" he asked, looking at her face. 

"Yeah," she said nervously, looking down at the papers in her hands. "It's a little weird and awkward to have to kiss your best friend but I think we made it believable. The director seemed really happy with it." 

He cleared his throat. "Yeah ....... ummmm. He definitely seemed happy with it. It must've been believable." 

She looked down at the paper and started reading off her first line to change the subject quickly. This whole conversation was way too awkward and uncomfortable. 

Brady took a deep breath before starting to read his lines and they went back and forth practicing, without bringing up the kiss again, which she was really thankful for. 

Over the next week they spent every day hanging out at the Quinn's pool, swimming and getting a tan and every evening going to play rehearsals.  

Finally Friday was here, the day of the real show and Lynn was more nervous than she had ever been. The costume designer April put her in a gold shimmery dress that was low cut in the chest area and showed off her curvy hips and skinny waist. 

"Wowza," April said, with her eyes bugging out when she saw the dress on her. "It fits you perfect. This is going to get some people's attention for sure. The detective is supposed to be blown away by her beauty when he sees her and this would do it."

They had a hair and makeup artist come in and they curled her long straight brown hair, putting half of it up in a 1920's style updo and put some dramatic eye makeup on her. When she looked in the mirror she was surprised at how beautiful she looked. 

"Wow. Is that really me?" she asked, looking at her reflection and making April laugh. 

Finally the director came in and he opened his mouth and gasped when he saw her. 

"Oh! This is so perfect. You're exactly what I wanted Penelope to look like! You're breathtaking! Now come and get lined up and get ready to go out there! It's almost showtime!" he said, with a clap, walking back out with his silk robe swishing behind him. 

Lynn walked out to the side of the stage and peeked behind the curtain to see that there was a full house. She didn't see a single empty seat. She spotted her best friend Kate and her Mom and Wes sitting next to Jake, Bella and Max. A few rows back she saw her Dad and that made her smile. She knew he hated going to things like this so it meant a lot that he came. She was surprised to see that most of the football and basketball teams were there and the coaches. Word must have spread that Brady was the lead in the play.

She turned around and took a deep breath and that's when she heard footsteps and Brady came walking up. He looked incredible in a black and white suit. She could really picture him being some hot detective.  When he saw her his eyes bugged out and he looked completely floored. He was speechless.