The First Cut Is The Deepest

Previously on "Grey's anatomy"...

The 7 years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life.

You will be pushed to the breaking point.

Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty.

Five of you will crack under the pressure.

Two of you will be asked to leave.

Dr. Shepherd, we should pretend it never happened.

What never happened - you sleeping with me last night,

or you throwing me out this morning?

You're an attending, and I'm your intern.

Stop looking at me like that.

Like what?

Like you've seen me naked.

Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours.

You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain.

What are you doing here?

You and I are gonna have so much fun together.

You know Meredith is inbred?

Like it's uncommon around here to be a doctor's parents.

No, royally inbred. Her mother is Ellis Grey.

Shut up. The Ellis Grey?

She's a living legend.

What's your name?

It's me, mom - Ava.

All right

-

We're gonna survive this, right?

It's all about lines.

The finish line at the end of residency.

Waiting in line for a chance at the
operating table.

And then there's the most important line -

the line separating you from the people you work with.

It doesn't help to get too familiar.

To make friends.

You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world.

Other people are far too messy.

It's all about lines.

Drawing lines in the sand
and praying like hell no one crosses them.

-

"Why do you put up posters for roommates if you don't want roommates?" Asked Izzie the after Meredith shit down the fifth candidate

"I do want roommates. We're together 100 hours a week. You want to live together, too?" Meredith replied. "And Ava lives there too, why aren't you made at her for not letting you stay"
"Because Ava's s Ava she's the kid, the one who keeps us all sane, and she's the only one everyone likes, even Bailey! Do I really want to piss her off"replied Izzie as Ava smirked

"I see you bring bribes now, huh?" Said Christina as George passes Meredith and Ava two drinks

"My mom irons my scrubs. I have to get out of there." Replied George in a desperate pleading voice

"It's not a bribe. I don't think it's a good idea." Meredith replied

"- I can put down last, first, and deposit." Said George not disheartened by Merediths refusal
"- It's totally a bribe." Interrupted Christina

"I can cook, and I'm an obsessive cleaner." Said Izzie pleading with Meredith

"No. I just want two total strangers who I don't have to talk to or be nice to, and it's not a bribe. It's a mocha latte." Said Meredith ending the discussion

-

"George, you're running the code team. Meredith, take the trauma pager.
Christina, deliver the weekend labs to the patients. Izzie, you're on sutures. Ava you can choose what you want to do." Said Bailey as soon as she walked in the door.

"What! Why does she get to choose?" Cried Izzie annoyed
"Yeah, I call favouritism" added Christina

"Ava gets too choose because I like her, she gets the job done and she doesn't involve me. She causes the least trouble and if you think whining is going to hell me like you your wrong" replied Bailey smiling at Ava. Ava smiled at her thanking her quietly before following Meredith on her way to sort the trauma pager.

The sisters walked down the hall when Ava caught sight of Derek in the elevator. Ava excused herself and went to the bathroom leaving Meredith to deal with Derek.

In truth, Ava didn't mind if the two got together she only wanted her Misty to be happy. She couldn't tell why people called him McDreamy she didn't even think he was hot.

In fact if you put him next to someone like Jennifer Anniston she would always choose Jennifer. She'd never actually thought a boy was hot and she often found herself looking at girls in bars. But that didn't mean she liked girls. Right. She was straight.

-

Ava tried to ignore how her sisters hair was ruffled when she met up with her again. She knew Meredith would tell her later, they were sisters they told each other everything, that's how it worked.

- We've got a rape victim.
- Better get in there.
25-year-old female found down at the park. Status - post trauma.
She came in with a gcs of six. B.P. - 80 over 60.
Exam is significant for blunt head trauma.
Unequal breath sounds, right pupil is dilated, and she's ready for x-ray.
Ready to roll?

Ava and Meredith were chosen to scrub in on the surgery and ran to the OR. Ava felt disgust at what had happened to the girl. How could someone do something so evil to another person?

Oh, my god.
What? Spit it out, Grey.
- She bit it off.
- Bit off what?
That's his... penis.
She bit off his - his penis.

So that was it, in all her dreams of what it would be like when they were finally surgeons never did one include having to carry around a severed penis.

They're been there for less than a week and already Meredith had nearly gotten fired for the baby incident

The day passed uneventfully Allison the victim was recovering and Ava sat alone with her thoughts wondering who would do such a thing to another. She knew that there was evil in the world but seeing it so close made her question everything.

She was shaken out of her thoughts when someone limped into the ER. The bleeding instantly made Ava realise that this was the rapist.
"Page Dr Webber, tell him we got the rapist" she shouted to a nurse as she ran over to the man.

The cops came to arrest the man and take the box from Meredith as the day started to end. Ava wondered if there would ever be a day when something bad didn't happen. Then she realised that she was a doctor and that was never going to happen.

Izzie, George, Ava and Meredith walked out of the doors in silence when there shift ended.
"Okay fine" said Meredith finally giving in, "you two can move in" she said to Izzie and George.
"Yesss" they both said fist pumping the air and for the first time that day a large grin spread across Ava's face her dimples clear on her scrunched up face.

She was happy.

Now she just had to interrogate Meredith on this McDreamy business, but that could wait until tomorrow.