If Tomorrow Never Comes

"Bailey caught me making out with Derek in my car" groaned Meredith. " Bailey caught me making out with Derek in my car". She repeated hitting her head in her hands as if saying it again would make it less real.

Ava held her sister close trying to comfort her.
"Hey at least you don't have to hide in elevators to make out with McDreamy anymore" Ava said, still trying to comfort her sister.
"At least you weren't naked when Bailey turned up" said Ava
Meredith groaned again "my life is over, she's going too kill me".

-

Ava sat in the kitchen with Izzie as they watched George make two cups of coffee one for him and one for Meredith. She almost pitied how, she knew Misty would never like him back but she just couldn't do that to George.

George went up the stairs and tried to open the door to Merediths room, in doing this she ended up spilling boiling coffee on himself. George came back in the kitchen looking depressed in his coffee stained shirt. Izzie walked up to him and patted him on the back sympathetically.

After getting changed George came back into the kitchen. And yet still Meredith wasn't there, she didn't know how long she should wait until going to check Meredith hadn't killed herself because of the Bailey thing.

"She's gonna be late." Said Izzie as the clock hit 5 am.
"Maybe not." Said George "We should wait for her." He continued
"Definitely not." Said Izzie, Ava lslapped her round the head jokingly.
"l'm not her mother, and you are not her boyfriend. Not yet, anyway." Izzie said
"Stop, OK? l told you l'm not interested." He said annoyed.
"Your not her boyfriend but I am her sister, and we're waiting for her" Ava said
"Life is short, George. Do you really want to die before you ever ask her out?" Said Izzie ignoring her.
"l do not want to ask her out." Said George angrily
"Do you really want to die a liar?" Added Ava smiling
"l'm not...l'm not dying" said George making Ava and Izzie laugh.

-

When the interns finally got to the hospital Meredith was stopped by Derek. They stared at each other awkwardly. Ava grabbed the other interns and walked off catching Merediths eye as she went.

Ava wondered if she would ever feel like that about someone. She had dated guys before but never really liked them like she felt she stood. It's always been a mystery to Ava, in school she never understood why all the girls stared at pictures of Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. In fact she always thought Angelina was the prettier half of the relationship anyway. And that scared her, that scared her a lot.

Ava had had a dream that night before, a dream where her and Meredith were given Harper Avery awards. She was a board certified neo natal surgeon and she couldn't be happier. In that dream Meredith was married to Derek and Ava was married to a tall Russian red-head. Maybe she wasn't straight, she always did have a thing for red-heads.

Ava wondered what Meredith would say if she found out. Would she still treat her the same if she liked girls. It was crazy to think that Ava had never actually liked boys all along, just dated them because that's what she was told she should do.

Her train of thought was cut off when Bailey came towards them. Meredith had come back in and joined them.

-

Whatever
it is we're afraid of,

one thing holds true.

That, by the time the pain
of not doing a thing

gets worse than
the fear of doing it,

it can feel like we're
carrying around a giant tumor.
-
Bailey turned to them "When we walk in this door, you will maintain decorum. You will not laugh, vomit, or drop your jaw.
Are we understood?" She said sternly before pushing the door to a patient room open.