Chapter 43

Ethan

I don't know what came over me when Ace told me she had to go, maybe I came to my senses and realised what I was doing? I quickly stood to get changed into a dress shirt and jeans, only barely making the effort as my inner wolf drove me crazy at my cold demeanour. I couldn't get attached, Ace was a rogue and the Moon Goddess had yet to bless me with a mate, I wasn't in the position as Alpha to choose who I bonded with, though I imagine my inner wolf would have a definitive choice based on the way he was acting out inside of me. I stretched my limbs and felt exhausted because I hadn't slept in almost 48 hours, but I walked down to the dining room anyway, keeping my face composed and neutral as I took my seat and awaited my pack's arrival. I didn't look up when Ace's scent clouded my senses and opted to glare at the deep red table cloth in front of me instead. My pack could sense my hostility but were opting to gawk at Ace's appearance instead.

"Anything else, Alpha Lupus?" Her voice woke me from my thoughts, gazing over at the small woman who had her head down and a waterfall of red hair covered the freckles on her face and usually flushed cheeks whenever she was in my presence. What am I saying? She is just a rogue; my rogue, but a rogue nonetheless.

"I'm not going to tell you again, Rogue Ace. Your hair needs to be up. But no, that is all." She appeared unphased by my words and left the dining room, but I kept my face stoic to avoid my pack noticing anything wrong. I was furious that she would continue to disobey me, I was the fucking Alpha and yet she treated me as though we were ranked the same or less than. Once my men were finished eating they all made their way outside to train, but I remained in the dining room, hearing the worker's talking to Ace and my blood boiled. I stalked into the room as Rogue Jet embraced my redhead.

"I can see we have time to hug the rogue but not to work?" Ace spun around quickly and for a second I dared her to challenge me, but instead, she bowed her head towards me, highlighting that her fucking hair was still down instead of up like I'd ordered. I growled at the realisation and took a step in her direction, though she flinched back as always and my jaw clenched painfully, spotting her reaction instantly. "I thought I told you about your hair being up?" Of course, she wouldn't answer me, she's terrified of the asshole I am. Being harsh and unforgiving were the very traits that led to me being the Alpha King's most trusted Alpha, he told me as such every time we met up to discuss business and I'd already proposed the most ruthless plans. With a frustrated sigh, I left the kitchen, stalking back into the dining room.

"The pack are awaiting your nod to begin training Ethan." Beta Deryn reminded me and I nodded absentmindedly towards him, following my second in command outside to the observation platform and unfocusing my eyes so I could think properly. There was no doubt in my mind that my inner wolf couldn't live without Ace, though my human form and the one in charge as Alpha told me otherwise, that I needed to focus on the good of the pack; falling for a redheaded rogue was out of the question. I couldn't protect her living the lifestyle I did, though my inner wolf reminded me I'd die trying if I let myself fall. Hours passed with no sign of Delta Kurt though I only noticed his absence when he took a seat beside me and cleared his throat

"So the rogue returned, Alpha?" I rolled my eyes but forced my expression to remain neutral and turned to face him

"Yes. She was hiding again, I plan to discuss her behaviour after dinner." My third in command nodded quickly, but paused and looked up towards me as I had several inches on the Delta

"Why has she not been executed? All due respect Alpha but she is just a rogue, no one would miss her if we had her killed. After all, it's not like she's-" I cut him off, perhaps a little too sharply as his words cut through my chest

"No one lays a hand on Rogue Ace. That is an order and a non-negotiable one at that. I have questions and they aren't going to be answered if she dies." My heart clenched painfully at the thought of my redhead dying but forcefully pushed it away, returning my eyes to Honi and Jacqui who were sparring and deep in conversation; I envied their relationship and the love they had for each other, something I'd never experienced. As the sun set everyone had filed inside late afternoon for a tactical battle lecture from Beta Deryn in the boardroom, a monthly meeting whereby we taught any new members of the pack and reminded seasoned members of the ways in which we fought and protected our territory. All too soon dinner came around and I'd missed lunch because I was too consumed with thinking about piercing blue eyes so my inner wolf was now whining for food. As I took a seat at the dining room table, I could faintly smell Ace's scent but kept composed; she wasn't going to be my downfall. I avoided looking at the small woman as she served because I knew I'd lose control if I dared look up.