Chapter 5

Accalia

The apartment was dark when I got back last night and that meant Janie was probably still out with the other humans. I'd been quite content with this revelation as I didn't need any questions being asked as to why I was home so early. Lying was becoming easier but it did exhaust me unnecessarily having to keep track of everything I've said. I'd crawled under the comforter and fell asleep, only waking the next morning to my phone buzzing loudly on the floor. I rolled off the bed, cursing slightly as I hit the ground where my phone had fallen and slid my finger across the screen to answer.

"Ace! Can you do me a huge favour?" It was Melissa on the other end, sounding worse for wear if I knew any better

"Of course. What's wrong? You sound awful..." I mumbled, mentally face-palming my blunt comment

"All of us are still sick but I need to open up for a few hours this morning at least to make this month's rent. Can you open the store for me? Just until lunch and I swear I'll make it worth your while!" She promised, a slight pleading tone to her voice and I sighed, agreeing to go in for the morning but grumbled about how she 'owed me one' before hanging up. I glanced at the time on my phone and saw it was only 6 am so I had a couple hours, but I wanted to go for a run. Tugging on the same workout gear as before, I adjusted my phone in its pouch on my arm and creeped out of my bedroom, eyebrows furrowing when I noticed that Janie hadn't come home last night. I shot her a quick text asking if she was okay before beginning my run, definitely going a little faster than I should have if I was trying to blend in. The hour of running didn't last long enough so when I got back to the apartment, not even slightly sweating, I changed into my work clothes; a black long-sleeved top, black smart trousers and a cream apron with the coffee shop's emblem on it. I decided to go the long route to the shop and took off running through the streets, making the most of my time outside before the city of Irvine woke up and stared suspiciously at the crazy woman running through the streets. I came to a halt outside the shop, unlocking it and hurrying about getting everything set up before 8 am rolled around. I checked my phone and Janie had replied saying she was 'perfectly okay' and would 'explain everything later'. Staring in confusion at the cryptic message, I locked my phone and put it into my back pocket, turning the 'Closed' sign around and waiting for the customers.

Somewhere between 10 and 11 in the morning, the steady stream of customers had slowed and only a few of the regulars milled about the coffee shop whilst I mopped up a large iced frappe I'd dropped just 5 minutes ago when it slipped from my hands and splashed all over the floor. A chime indicated a new customer and I lifted my head, freezing in position when I met startling hazel eyes glaring at me. The mop slipped from my hand and I went to pick it up, hitting my forehead off of the counter in the process. I mumbled a curse word under my breath as I held tightly onto the mop that now stood upright, bowing my head to the Alpha who had walked in.

"Does she ever have a day off?" Alpha Lake spat and I flinched at his harsh tone, clearly unbothered if I'd heard him but I stayed where I was; no one moved if the Alpha didn't give his permission, that part of wolf etiquette I remembered. I noticed my knuckles had gone white from holding the mop handle so tightly and loosened the grip, nibbling at my lip instead to ease the nerves in my stomach. If Alpha Lake remembered me now, I'd surely be killed on sight, no doubt about it. And due to my carelessness, I'd walked right into the place where Alpha Lake would find me.

"Rogue Ace." His voice echoed through the small coffee shop and I glanced around at the customers that were all seated in the shop, widening my eyes when I realised they also all had their heads bowed. I thought these were humans? I believed I was the only wolf in here besides the Alpha and his pack. I moved my head away from the scent of coffee behind me, still keeping it bowed and then I could smell it; wolves and humans, their scent had been mixed and the overwhelming smell of coffee had masked it all rather well, hence why I never noticed before. A growl brought me back from my thoughts and I flinched, going to lift my head but hesitated and thought better, my inner wolf finally awake and growling at me for daring not to submit to the Alpha in front of me